SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HELP :: JS Analysis Paralysis . . .

Here's my problem: We are rewriting our HR web application from scratch (using C#.Net and SQL Server 2005), and I want to keep the front-end fairly autonomous.

Having looked at a gazillion samples of JavaScript libraries, I was just wondering if any of you have some recommendations as far as what the best (as in professional and somewhat lightweight) combination of JavaScript libraries would be?

In the end, I need to have some basic accordion widgets, tabbed interfaces, drag-and-drop functionality for <select> lists and some basic AJAX capabilities.

I don't want anything too bloated or too cute, but additional features would certainly be welcome.

So, do I use prototype.js and ext.js, or should I go Yahoo!?

Anyone?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy kyberfabrikken's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How confident are you/your team with javascript? If you're not, are you then willing to learn, or would you prefer a library, which hides the low-level stuff away for you?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're good with JavaScript, and I actually do want something that I could tweak at a lower level if I absolutely had to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Javascript libraries can roughly be differentiated as targetting two different styles of programming; Either they provide a high abstraction widget toolkit, or they operate on a lower abstraction level, where they mostly smooth out the incompatibilities between browsers, as well as enhancing the language itself.

The former are mostly geared towards building rich, desktop-like applications. They are good at this, but have some cost in performance and flexibility (Performance is a very real issue, when it comes to Javascript). For something, which targets a bit of both worlds, I would recommend taking a look at Dojo toolkit and YUI. If you want to go a little closer to the metal, you should take a look at MochiKit. If you want something more abstract, then jQuery and Ext.js might be good candidates.

What to choose, depends on your team. There are probably a lot of factors involved, but I would say, that if you are a couple of people and they all are good with javascript, you should go with a low level library. If you are more than a couple of people involved with the GUI/javscript layer, but all are still quite skilled with javascript, you should pick one of the hybrid libraries. If you have developers, who don't have a deep understanding of javscript, messing around in the presentation layer, you'd probably want to use something high level.

The ones I mentioned, are just the ones I personally happen to like. That's most likely very subjective, so you might want to take my specific recommendations with a grain of salt. There are other fine candidates out there, than these.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much! That's exactly what I wanted to hear from somebody. Subjective is good, int his case. ;-)

Thank you very much!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're welcome.