SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When to go after the most popular keyword in your industry?

When is it ok to go after the big and popular keyphrase in your industry. I have a website that ranks very well for many long tail and even some decent 3 keyword phrases that are very competative.

I would think at some point you would want to go after the main keyword and take the industry by the horns, so to speak.

What factors do you have to consider?

Since I have the time I will be working on this one site 8 hours a day 40 hours a week. So I can put alot of time and effort behind this task.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Set goals for the long tail keywords. Once you achieve those then move on to slightly more competitive keywords. Continue doing that until you are ready for the more competitive keywords.

You can also try to create some content for the very competitive keywords and just accept a longer path to being successful with it all the while focusing on the long tail keywords to drive in that targeted traffic until you are successful.

Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, you can go after it any time you want just be prepared for a long uphill slog and the fact that you may never catch up with the more established sites.
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make a realistic estimate of the efforts required to reach the top. Also the traffic for the keywords you are targetting. Checkout the backlinks quality and quantity of the top and see if you can really match them.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bigalreturns's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say that once you are secure in your current keyphrase rankings it's time to move on to the next level. By secure, I mean that it's no longer taking more than a small amount of effort, and you are very confident that these rankings will not be usurped in the forseeable future. If you move onto other keywords before you achieve this confidence, you risk losing your ranks for your "lesser" keywords, by neglecting them in your drive for bigger and better.
    "The proper function of man is to live - not to exist."
    Get a Free TomTom

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no difference. If you start optimizing your site, there will be some waiting time anyway. So why not include all, the easy to rank keywords and the crowded ones?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the idea of doing it in stages. This way you can get traffic to site and keep working on next keyword to get even more. Every time you get a new keyword doing well and it stays in serps where you like move up to the next one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you talking about something like taking your scented candles website from the 40's-50's (I use 100 results per page so didn't know your exact spot) to the top - or something more drastic like going for the single word Candles?

I took a quick look at the #1 site for scented candles. Yahoo site explorer shows that they have a ton of paid links. Just another example showing that paid links still work and links > content.