User Tag List

Thread: PHP or ASP

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tangent from my previous post

I still haven't decided yet if I want to go NT or Unix(any recommendations), but here is my situation...

Part I.
    I'm trying to build a site where members can login to give them access to the "interactive" area of the site plus give them the ability to setup/modify their user profile(visible to other members). I know I can easily do this with many .htaccess and member scripts, but they involve a separate login procedure for each script(i.e. users have to login to access the interactive area then login again to change profile/page, etc.) And if I add a discussion board such as this, there is another login procedure if users want to post. I need to be able to show the poster's ID automatically, without the poster having to type it in him/herself.

Part II.
    About the user registration and profile's area. I need each member's site to support 2-3 pre-formatted pages. Such as one for Bio, another for a listing of their current projects, etc. I know this requires a database, but which one? and more importantly using what?

Thanks in advance for entertaining these newbie question!

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which scripting language you choose depends on the learning curve your willing to tackle. If you know Access and Visual Basic then go for ASP. If not look into PHP. The database you decide to use is not a consequence with ASP as you can use any ODBC compliant datasource. I am not sure about PHP but it does join nicely with MySQL.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    Internet Media Provider

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you are trying to do can easily be done with either ASP or php. If you know some VB then you should probably choose ASP, however if you are more into C, you might be better off with php.

BTW, php also has an ODBC component, but its favorite playmate remains mySQL.

Christian

------------------
    Axie automatically performs free, customizable searches for new
    websites and delivers the links to members by personalized email.
    http://www.axie.com/