User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremybar View Post
    Cool forum! I am moving to Canada soon and have a three year old. Hope the forum grows!
    Me too . We spent enough time making it look the way it does. Perhaps the topics are wrong? They are relevant, but maybe to broad.
    godaycare.com - Canadian daycare listings with reviews
    Parenting and Child care Forum - Canadian child care forum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could try offering something free when they join.. like maybe a free download related to Child Care or of general interest.
    You could also run competitions and require people to join up as conditions of entry. Have that as part of the entry form. Or just state the competition is available to members only. You just have to offer something that other sites does not offer for free, or have a lot of stuff people will use.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hafsoh View Post
    You could try offering something free when they join.. like maybe a free download related to Child Care or of general interest.
    You could also run competitions and require people to join up as conditions of entry. Have that as part of the entry form. Or just state the competition is available to members only. You just have to offer something that other sites does not offer for free, or have a lot of stuff people will use.

Thanks, Hafsoh. I was thinking about offering something like that. I figured offering good service was good enough, but apparently not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice forum and integration! How many visitors is your main site getting? maybe because your forums look unactive people figure theres no point in signing up, I think you should concentrate on making it look active.

- Exchange posts with other webmasters
    - Purchase paid posting
    - Encourage your friends to post
    - Signup a few "members" that are actually you and have a discussion

Hope this helps!

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m1k30rz View Post
    Very nice forum and integration! How many visitors is your main site getting? maybe because your forums look unactive people figure theres no point in signing up, I think you should concentrate on making it look active.

- Exchange posts with other webmasters
    - Purchase paid posting
    - Encourage your friends to post
    - Signup a few "members" that are actually you and have a discussion

Hope this helps!
    Hi m1k30rz, thanks for reply.

It's a new site, about 1 month old. Getting about 100 uniques.

There is traffic to the forum, but very little participation. Not sure how to go about exchanging posts with other webmasters. Paid posting is out of the question as it yields poor quality and IMO achieves nothing. Most of my friends don't have kids yet, so very difficult to get anything going on that end . Signing up myself a few times is an option which I'm trying very hard to not exercise. It is partially my fault as I have so little time to put into the forum. I put alot of effort into the SEO and tech side of things and did some marketing / getting backlinks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worries! happy to help out

Hmm 100 uniques per month?? I think you'd be best to start promoting your site! definitely check out some directories and submit your site to as many as you can find, <snip>

I would be more than happy to exchange posts with you if you'd like to PM me, although I do not have much/any knowledge about child care! but I certainly could participate in off topic discussion, I suggest this would be a good category to add as it adds a little fun to your site where members can just relax

I would recommend signing up yourself a few times, sure its not the best thing but it does help a lot. I try to avoid it myself too but if you are not getting any results it may be a worthy approach.

Your site is looking really good and I wish you the best of luck with it !
    Last edited by Shyflower; Jan 17, 2008 at 07:18. Reason: member's link removed

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m1k30rz View Post
    No worries! happy to help out

Hmm 100 uniques per month?? I think you'd be best to start promoting your site! definitely check out some directories and submit your site to as many as you can find, <snip>

I would be more than happy to exchange posts with you if you'd like to PM me, although I do not have much/any knowledge about child care! but I certainly could participate in off topic discussion, I suggest this would be a good category to add as it adds a little fun to your site where members can just relax

I would recommend signing up yourself a few times, sure its not the best thing but it does help a lot. I try to avoid it myself too but if you are not getting any results it may be a worthy approach.

Your site is looking really good and I wish you the best of luck with it !
    140 Uniques per day yesterday with about 1,400 pageviews. The site has only launched a month and a change ago. Tt pulled 16 uniques on that day. That was Dec 1, 07. I wish I had more time to work on it, but my full time job takes presedence as it puts food on the table.

Which category would you suggest I make for general discussions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found it helpful to give incentives. Like so many posts and you get to do this... so many and you get this... other than just titles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkoenig View Post
    I found it helpful to give incentives. Like so many posts and you get to do this... so many and you get this... other than just titles.
    Hmm, that sounds like a useful idea for a site of mine actually. I'm getting ready to launch a new forum shortly and I'm already looking at providing more content to registered users, so incentives to post even more could be a good option.

I was considering opening up a photos gallery with full resolution images for the Venus flytrap website in my signature which would only be available to registered users. I'm thinking perhaps a video gallery for users who make more than 10 posts could work quite well, although it may encourage people to post 10 junk posts which would be annoying. It's definitely a nice idea though and a lot cheaper than offering prizes which I've seen other sites do.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkoenig View Post
    Would kind of incentives would you suggest for this type of a forum?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would offer a free download of "Top Ten Questions You MUST Ask Before Hiring a Child Care Provider" (I just made that up) but make it something related to your site.

Also, a members only section tends to encourage people to register. Be patient, though, because "lurkers" are often interested but aren't ready to post yet, and will if the topic is compelling enough.

As much as I don't like controversy, you could start an argument on your forum (don't use your regular username) about whether to even use childcare. That will get some people to step in and defend their decision. Once the forum stabilizes, don't allow flames or you will lose members.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ValueAdded View Post
    I would offer a free download of "Top Ten Questions You MUST Ask Before Hiring a Child Care Provider" (I just made that up) but make it something related to your site.

Also, a members only section tends to encourage people to register. Be patient, though, because "lurkers" are often interested but aren't ready to post yet, and will if the topic is compelling enough.

As much as I don't like controversy, you could start an argument on your forum (don't use your regular username) about whether to even use childcare. That will get some people to step in and defend their decision. Once the forum stabilizes, don't allow flames or you will lose members.
    Hey, nice post.

The only thing is that if I were to allow controversy on the site that would go against the "family oriented" idea that I'm trying to build this forum around. I fully understand and agree that controvercy drives response and perhaps I need to look into some ways of creating a "mellowed down" version.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraDC View Post
    Hey, nice post. That's the kind of response I was hoping for. Some clever pointers here. The only thing is that if I were to allow controversy on the site that would go against the "family oriented" idea that I'm trying to build this forum around. I fully understand and agree that controvercy drives response and perhaps I need to look into some ways of creating a "mellowed down" version.
    Glad you liked it

I agree, mellow is better. What if it was a "new person" (who you happened to invent) struggling with the idea of whether to stay home or not? I am guessing people will want to jump in and help.