SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Headdress + MAMP Pro + Leopard (on a Mac)

I tried MAMP on my MacBook Pro when I was using Tiger. Setting up virtual hosts on a Mac was much more difficult than I had anticipated, but I eventually figured it out.

Now I've upgraded to Leopard and MAMP Pro - and I feel like I'm back at square one. MAMP Pro looks really slick. The interface suggests that most virtual hosting tasks have been automated, but the online tutorials I've explored launch into rambling discussions that involve tweaking and modifying one file after another. MAMP's documentation is really basic, leaving me thoroughly confused.

Then I heard about a program called Headdress, which apparently automates setting up virtual hosts. But before I try it, I'd like to know what I'm getting into. If Headdress messes up a MAMP file, I can always fix it by reverting to MAMP's default settings. But it sounds like Headdress (and perhaps MAMP) can sometimes use Leopard's default Apache/PHP files. Like I say, I'm thoroughly confused.

My websites are located at Users/MyName/Sites, MAMP Pro appears to be working, and I want to get virtual hosts (lots of them) set up as quickly as possible. Do you think it would be reasonably safe to experiment with Headdress, or am I just digging myself a deeper hole?

Thanks.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you outline exactly what it is you are trying to achieve?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by default View Post
    Can you outline exactly what it is you are trying to achieve?
    I've placed on all my websites in a folder at /Users/MyName/Sites Now I just want to set up virtual hosts so that I can preview each site at http://MySite.

For example, one of my sites is at /Users/MyName/Sites/Geobop. I would like to be able to view the home page by simply typing http://Geobop into a browser.

I've set up virtual hosts on both my PC and Mac, but somehow it looks more confusing than ever now. There are just two many new toys to play with and too many potentially conflicting files.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the 'hosts' tab of the MAMP Pro interface set up your various virtual hosts by clicking the + icon towards teh lower left of the interface. Give each a server name, Geobob, Geoworld etc and set their disk locations to /Users/username/Sites/Geobob , /Users/username/Sites/Geoworld etc.

Click the Apply button and MAMP Pro will ask to restart, accept.

You can now access your websites at http://geobob:8888 , http://geoworld:8888 and so on.

The :8888 is a required port assignment. If you do not append :8888 the browser will assume port :80 and try and find the sites out on the internet.

You can change the default port assignment from the General section on Server tab of the MAMP pro interface.

If you want to access your sites without the port assignment (ie using the standard :80) then you will have to disable Web sharing from the System Prefs Sharing pane, and set the MAMP Pro Apache port to 80.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, what was a quick fix. Thanks!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @default (sitepoint zealot)

using mamp and drupal,

in mamp, apache port number I changed from 8888 pointing at localhost TO port 80 so that it would point to my public domain name (static IP). which was my objective. I don't want to develop locally but want to move to production.

however, I still need to access phpmyadmin for drupal to create databases and such but when I point at the localhost:8888 for phpmyadmin, the browser returns with a 'localhost:8888' doesn't exist.

MY QUESTION

what/where/how am i supposed to change my mamp mysql port number to so that i can access phpmyadmin and use mamp mysql to develop on drupal?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nvrmnd, if i had taken the time to play with it a lil' bit, i would've used the default apache and mysql ports. since doing that my question is answered and have now moved onto developing my drupal, yay...the next hurdle...learning drupal...any thoughts on expression engine?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I much prefer ExpressionEngine. I just find it easier than Drupal. But that has nothing to do with MaMP etc