SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SE Expert: Copywriters important, SEOs ...not so much

Last, but not least, hire a professional copywriter to work on the important pages of your site. This is the best investment you can make for your site and your business. Even if you don’t want to hire an SEO, you absolutely MUST hire a professional copywriter. You need someone who really and truly understands target audiences and how to speak to them about the benefits of what you offer. You can easily teach someone like that the SEO writing part.

-- Revisited: The Art of SEO
    True of course, just odd considering the SEO-centric source. SEO is, without a doubt, important. SEO as be-all and end-all turns site content into a dull, bleak caricature.

This content is excellently written from a search engine optimization perspective. The carewords (Spain, holiday, rentals, etc.) are prominent and repeated often. However, this content doesn’t seem credible to me. I don’t get a sense of trustworthiness off it. In fact, it reads to me like spam, and that made me quickly hit the Back button.

Remember, getting people to your website is just the first step. Having them complete the task is ultimately what it’s all about.
    -- Search optimization, not search engine optimization
    And readers automatically sense, even those who've never heard of search engine optimization, the site wasn't designed with humans in mind -- just Google.

Once somebody finds your site, copy has to help them find something or achieve an objective. Nothing in SEO lore insists on devaluing content writing. Yet, time and again, you will visit more sites where the content has been SEOed within an inch of its life.

In the last week someone wrote and said “I want you to talk about SEO, and don’t give me any of that **** about good content.”
    -- Matt Cutts; SEO Advice: Writing useful articles that readers will love
    Google advises good, user targeted content is good SEO, yet people refuse to hear it. Consequently, the lemming-like slide towards gimmicks and SE rigging has turned content writing for people into a stealth SEO technique.

Most gimmicks can be cut and pasted by any of your competitors, quality content writing can't. (At least not without a duplicate content penalty for the thief).

So develop a content strategy which achieves SEO objectives. Don't develop an SEO strategy and toss off the content writing job to a keyword stuffer to plagiarize Wikipedia articles.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DCrux, why is it that I often find myself agreeing with you far more than not?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SEO and Quality Content must co-exist. I've been to websites with quality content but these sites are buried down under search result pages because the owner is not aware of SEO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a great writer on board but somehow I have to rewrite his article titles everytime, he's also not aware that some words are no go for search engines.

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SEO and Quality Content must co-exist. I've been to websites with quality content but these sites are buried down under search result pages because the owner is not aware of SEO.
    I would go even beyond this, quality content must complement and leverage SEO. What has happened is SEO of poor content has dragged down search engines, resulting in users moving to alternatives.

When pages of bad content top SE results, that's a failure of the "quality content" part required for coexistence of SEO and content writing.

Many of the major social bookmarking sites are seeing a similar rise in awaress. The reason behind this is simple to understand. People are growing tired of search engines as a method to find targeted and relevant information that interests them. Social bookmarking sites offer content that is contributed by other humans as opposed to content contributed by non-human search engine algortims. People are more interested in content that has been reviewed and bookmarked by real people over content that is robot driven.

-- Quality Content and the Rise of Social Bookmarking, SEO 20/20
    Now that's an old article. SEO -- those SEO firms who don't understand the words "co-exist" or "quality" -- have moved on to game the social bookmarking sites, dragging down their relevance as well. Social sites are fighting back, correctly seeing such SEO tactics as a threat to their continued existence.

It's not that SEO and quality content can't co-exist ...it just doesn't. But this shows that a high ranking on a search engine is not the only way for a lot of people to find your site. Read the SitePoint article Successful Internet Marketing Without Search Engines.

SEOs prefer it otherwise, but people can find a page without a search engine.

...some words are no go for search engines.
    For instance Google Stopwords. It is proper to note, as with all SEO, this is "...what we believe to be Google stopwords"

Much as "what we believe to be the future" ...based on these tea leaves. Unless you have a very high ranking informant in each of the search engine companies, a large part of SEO is speculation. Recipes for high page rank are far more like a soufflé recipe than a drive through burger. The slightest perturbation of a variety of atmospheric factors and results can fall flat.

Related Reading...

Basics of search engine optimisation
    This comment sticks out "I find that one of the hardest parts of SEO is getting the client to produce quality content that is relative to the audience they are trying to attract."

Bottom Line: What's hard to do rarely gets done. Fist job is for SEOs to team up with quality content and copywriters. Second it for the writers to show the SEO how to make it easier to sell content writing services as something more than an add-on.

In other words, if you can show an SEO how to double their income by doing something they don't currently do -- it's a win-win. Far too often even the "content is king" SEOs are betrayed by their actions, billing 90% for rigging page rank and 10% for earning page rank. (That is a charitable ratio)
    Last edited by DCrux; Jan 21, 2008 at 08:38.