SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Upgrading an exsisting site

I've herd of horror stories of people not updating thier site correctly and then loosing ranking in Google. I want to avoid this.

I'm upgrading to a CMS so all my URL's are now going to be different. I know I can fix this using 301 redirects. I still need to research that a bit more.

But the other issue is we will be targeting a more competative term that we have not previously targeted but show up in the top 100 for the new term already. By focusing on a new term like this will I see any drastic changes for all other terms that I currently use. I plan on keeping the older terms in the title, meta tags and content. So I'm hoping it will not have too much impact. Any thoughts on this method. I don't want to make it look like our site is starting over. Thanks.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you change the content, and HTML, on your pages you can expect to see a change in your rankings. How it works out depends on lots of factors so it is difficult to say how it will work out for you. But anytime you make a change like you are doing with the CMS you're going to take a hit anyways while redirects kick in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can add a few words of advice

Make sure that your database do not generate duplicated URLs! Try to create web page clean of any spamming keywords and write crrect Meta Tags.
    HostColor.com
    Colocation | Dedicated Servers | VPS Hosting
    Web hosting provider since 2000

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we updated a site recently and all urls were changing. the 301's worked a treat and we got our rankings higher than they were previously. Just make sure you have not forgotten any. We took a slight drop for about 2 weeks, then it went back up the listings.
    I doubt you will see much effect from your previous listings by starting to target more terms though, as long as the redirects are corrently in place

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help. I will have to re-look at the 301 redirects and make sure I have everything in place correctly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After looking through my CMS and how the structure is, my new index page will actually be www.site.com/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx, so I can put the 301 on my old index page right? As long as I leave the index file in the root, the web browser will pull that up first?

So once I have the redirect, I should not need any more, as the new menu system will come into affect after the first redirect. And i also do not have any back links coming into any internal pages.

Please let me know if my thought process is correct here. I'm getting a little nervous about doing such a big change to our site. Thanks.