SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to setup a database for a few people on my website so they could look up information about members of our orginization. I have a database that is setup in a dbase style program. I heard something about mysql and msql. I have no clue about any of these. Is there any way to convert my dbase database to a mysql or msql. I can also use php on my site. So if anyone can help me with this please let me know. Thank you for all your help.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can spit your data out of your dBase in any sort of organized way, then you will be able to either 1) insert it directly into your mySQL database or 2) write an quick and easy php script that will do it for you.

If you need specific help let me know. I -- personally -- use php to format and insert data into mySQL databases all the time.

Christian

------------------
    Axie automatically performs free, customizable searches for new
    websites and delivers the links to members by personalized email.
    http://www.axie.com/

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was reading your post back and am i little confussed on how i would insert that database information into msql or mysql. Also i am not clear what i would need to export the data to. What kind of organized way? Would i have to do this thru telnet? Or something else. If you would like you can email me at dave@webcitynet.com or you can post back. Thank you so much for answering me. I really appreciate your help. Thanks

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do a databse dump from dBase, either just printing data row by row into a plain text file or dumpit as a .CSV (comma sepperated values) file.

A CVS file can be inserted directly into a mySQL database, but unless the format is right, the result might end up a little funny...

If you have a plain text file, just use a 10 line php3 script to open the file, read the file line by line, format the data, insert the data into the mySQL table.

You can email me if you have specific questions and I can hammer a script together for you.

Christian

------------------
    Axie automatically performs free, customizable searches for new
    websites and delivers the links to members by personalized email.
    http://www.axie.com/

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your quick response. I will have a few questions. I would like to email you. Can i please have your email address. You can either post it here or email it to me at dave@webcitynet.com Thanks again. Love your page alot.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I converted that database into a comma seperated one. What do i have to do with it now. Thank you for your help.