Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to show a demo

Hi guys

Want to get your thoughts in a issue regarding a demo

I sell a script/software

Do you think that it is best to have my potential customers enter there email before viewing my demo.

FOR

more serious users, build up email list of potential customers

AGAINST

less views, users may not wish to give out there email

What do you think?

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think yes. If they are serious about it, an e-mail is not that big of a step. Otherwise you don't want them to waste your bandwidth anyway.

On the same topic, I have an idea of also offering a free installation and/or guidance for such demo. Knowing that people often struggle no matter how easy you make the installation, it might be a good idea. Also that way you make a personal contact with potential clients and weed out the time wasters better. That requires extra resources though.
    Saul

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that as long as you tell them that you plan to contact them, or may contact them in future then asking for an email address is the way to go. Otherwise, you may just annoy them and get a bad rep.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why don't you test it? Ask for email addresses for a certain amount of time and then remove that requirement. Compare your sales/visitors ratio afterwards.

My own personal leaning is towards presenting the demo to everyone. A good demo will act like a good sales pitch. I might change my mind if the video was huge and bandwidth was an issue though.

SitePoint Enthusiast Eric Engel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely get their email. As a matter of fact, get their email address and email them the link. Then after the demo, ask for a name and maybe even a phone number for more information...to give them your sales pitch. But you might come up with thousands of improvements or different ideas that are related, and the list you build will be worth gold to you then.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lead capture can be a great way to increase sales but as you mentioned, it's also a hindrance. There's been some great ideas about how to capture data already suggested in this thread but I wanted to re-emphasise the importance of testing. In many cases people looking at demos are ready to make a purchase but just want to take a look and anything that stops that may drive them away, especially having to verify an email link or similar. Be sure that whatever you do, you test the results versus no-form to see what happens.
    - Ted S

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, test it.

But think about this...why show it to only a select few who sign up, when you can show it to EVERYONE who visits your site?

Personally, I wouldn't sign in. I'm tired of pages like that. If, IF I do, I'll just give them a fake address, like so many others do also.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Test it by all means, but if you're going to ask for someone's email, you really need to sell them on the benefits of doing that.

If you don't say why you want my email, I'll think you want it just to send future sales pitches - but if you tell me it's to send me info about how to use and benefit from your software and that I'll get special offers and discounts not available to the general public, then you've sold me on giving you my email.

I'd also look around and see what other companies in your industry are doing. Do they offer demo's and do they require some sort of registration?

Steve

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First you need to ask yourself why you would actually need their email address. Would it actually benefit you to have these emails if they have viewed the demo and already accepted/rejected your product? Also, many of these emails go straight in the spam folder for many, and it'll probably lead your product to get a bad name.

To be honest, the best demo's I've seen are when there is a video and guidance for installing that demo, and just a straight link for installing it. Those are the only things I would stick around for, and many people are still wary about giving their emails away for what they see as no use. Personally, if users wanted a subscription, they would want it as an option and not to be forced.

As said before I see it as a sales pitch. If your demo goes well people will be more likely to shell out money for this product. You need to sell it in the best way possible, and forcing a user to do something could give your product a bad name for them.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a good point, there is no point having the email addresses if you don't have an actual use for them, and if the person didn't like your product they are not likely to want to hear from you.

Perhaps giving them the opportunity to give you feedback at the end of the demo, and having there be an optional space for email address there would be better.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd suggest making the email address optional. What you could do is if they enter their email address send them a nice PDF product brochure as well as letting them see the demo. Also add an optional newsletter optin so they can receive updates.