SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Benifits of paying for SEO?

Ok, just wondering, i dont know much about SEO, but if i were to pay for someone to do that for my website. would my site show up on the first page? or what? is it worth it too pay someone for this. What are the benifits? thanks in advance.
    Japanese girls, pictures and photos of Chinese girls are here.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no one can guarantee a first page listing, and if anyone does, they are lying.

google changes it algo all the time and what worked in the past may not work tomorrow.

If you are going to pay someone to do it, get references, and speak directly to their clients if you can to ask them about performance, timescales etc. There is nothing better than proof.

Also, stay clear of someone who say they can get you on the 1st page for very long phrases like "yellow cannisters for storing wigets on tuesdays" as these are extremely long tail and easy to optimise for.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, be careful with those that claim guarantee to push you to top 10 within xx days etc.

Always ask for reference to check if they are producing results as the claim to be, and verified if that is not result from any bad techniques, you want success that last long, not in top 10 just for one/two day.

You should have at least some seo knowledge so that you can understand what these seo companies are talking about.
    Over 100 Free Wordpress Themes for download
    Get your website a free hosting account
    Dotservant.com professional website hosting since 2000

Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by briggidere View Post
    Not true, I can look at the competition for a keyword phrase and judge whether or not I'll be able to get my client onto page one. If I can't or I'm not sure, I won't say that I can do it.

One option with payment is to have a performance or target related payment scheme.

The trick is not to make promises you can't keep.
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJMcClure View Post
    Not true, I can look at the competition for a keyword phrase and judge whether or not I'll be able to get my client onto page one. If I can't or I'm not sure, I won't say that I can do it.
    But while you're doing that, 100 other SEOs might be doing the same thing and they might also judge that the current competition is nothing to worry about. They might also enter the market and give invalid guarantees. A guarantee of first page listings might hold up if nothing changes, but nothing stays still.

If I were you sony11, I would do a little reading on the subject. Not only will you be better placed to spot charlatans making invalid claims, you might be tempted to SEO your site yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hooperman View Post
    But while you're doing that, 100 other SEOs might be doing the same thing and they might also judge that the current competition is nothing to worry about.
    Pure extreme speculation to create a context in which what I'm saying doesn't seem reasonable so you can make your point. I expect better from you really.

It's obvious to anyone with half a brain when a keyword phrase is so uncompetitive that page one results can practically be guaranteed simply with a few instances of the keyword phrase on-site and a few backlinks.

In a situation where it's not that obvious, I simply don't make any promises.

They might also enter the market and give invalid guarantees. A guarantee of first page listings might hold up if nothing changes, but nothing stays still.
    Spurious comment. Any guarantee is going to be affected by context.

If I were you sony11, I would do a little reading on the subject. Not only will you be better placed to spot charlatans making invalid claims, you might be tempted to SEO your site yourself.
    Anyone who knows their job knows when they're making invalid guarantees, or they shouldn't be in the job because they're either incompetent or unethical.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's obvious to anyone with half a brain when a keyword phrase is so uncompetitive that page one results can practically be guaranteed simply with a few instances of the keyword phrase on-site and a few backlinks.
    Can you guarantee that that phrase remains uncompetitive?

- You can't control the competition
    - You can't control the quality of the search engine results

The 2 factors above make invalid any guarantee about being able to give 1st page rankings. Yes, you can be pretty sure that you can rank for a particular term but that's not the same as being able to give a guarantee.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by briggidere View Post

google changes it algo all the time and what worked in the past may not work tomorrow.
    Although it is unethical to commit 1st page listing, I believe it is possible to achieve it and also SEO knowing people would agree.

This is all about making your website appear good so that users find it interesting. Also how to let people see it, is time consuming and thats where you pay...

This is so obvious that you know your business at the best, but should you want you could pay for marketing activities which do not need much expertize but time and hard work.

Disregard the Algorithms, since Google changes the algorithm periodically, and would continue even if you do not pay anybody to assist you to rank high.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take care they dont use any blackhat methods or you will get banned

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you guarantee that that phrase remains uncompetitive?

- You can't control the competition
    - You can't control the quality of the search engine results

The 2 factors above make invalid any guarantee about being able to give 1st page rankings. Yes, you can be pretty sure that you can rank for a particular term but that's not the same as being able to give a guarantee.
    No of course I can't guarantee that that phrase remains uncompetitive but that's not the point because I'm not making that guarantee. Can I guarantee a page one listing that will stay there given some maintenance? Yes, sometimes. And if I fail to achieve what I've promised, the client doesn't pay, so I'm very careful what I promise.

I recently SEO'd a site I built for the phrase 'buxton homeopathy', and achieved No1 on Google in less than a week with very little effort, for both spellings, because there was no serious competition.

Now............. can I guarantee that 10 more homeopaths won't open shop in Buxton, do SEO for that phrase and bump my client off page one? No of course I can't. Is it likely to happen? No of course it bloody isn't.

So is my guarantee a good one? Yes, in my opinion. Same as any guarantee.

I guaranteed first page rankings (with a proviso, which is an explanation of how search engines work and the fact that they might not stay there without more work - but you never asked about that, you just got stuck in), I delivered what I promised, it'll most likely stay there forever unless there are serious and unlikely changes in both the market and search engine technology so I'm satisfied with my conduct.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kneoteric View Post
    Although it is unethical to commit 1st page listing, I believe it is possible to achieve it and also SEO knowing people would agree.

This is all about making your website appear good so that users find it interesting. Also how to let people see it, is time consuming and thats where you pay...

This is so obvious that you know your business at the best, but should you want you could pay for marketing activities which do not need much expertize but time and hard work.

Disregard the Algorithms, since Google changes the algorithm periodically, and would continue even if you do not pay anybody to assist you to rank high.
    agreed.
    matt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guaranteed first page rankings (with a proviso, which is an explanation of how search engines work and the fact that they might not stay there without more work - but you never asked about that, you just got stuck in)
    Ah, the old proviso up the sleeve trick - you got me with that one!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Benifits of paying for SEO?
    I do not beleive in ti only if i really nead a proffesionall seo report/work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, the old proviso up the sleeve trick - you got me with that one!
    You never asked, but it should go without saying. However, I'm not worried that my guarantee is no good, I wouldn't have made it if I thought that I couldn't deliver what I promised.

The proviso is only the same as anyone would make, yes your brand new car is guaranteed not to break down for the first 12 months but it could happen....

Not exactly up my sleeve. Don't try to cheapen my point by making it sound like I tricked you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sony11 View Post
    Ok, just wondering, i dont know much about SEO, but if i were to pay for someone to do that for my website. would my site show up on the first page?
    The fact that you pay for SEO would not guarantee anything. If that someone you pay understand SEO well enough, it will increase you chances though. It so highly depends on what you're looking for as well. Make sure you have realistic expectations as well.
    is it worth it too pay someone for this.
    You're the only one that can estimate this ;-) Look at your SEO budget and your goals. [/QUOTE]
    What are the benifits?
    Some benefits is obvious:
    1. Decrease your risk by getting a professional to do the job
    2. Save yourself time and resources trying to gain the knowledge and experience yourself.

Be cautious though.. the industry is full of newcomers and salespeople. Anyone with an internet connection can claim to be a SEO consultant these days. Like others have said; look out for 1st placement guarantees.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, just wondering, i dont know much about SEO, but if i were to pay for someone to do that for my website. would my site show up on the first page? or what? is it worth it too pay someone for this. What are the benifits? thanks in advance.
    No one can gurantee a first page position in search results.

anyway, if you hire any one for SEO, then I suggest you don't let them put any link on your site as that can hurt your ranking

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by angilina View Post
    I suggest you don't let them put any link on your site as that can hurt your ranking
    They can't hurt you by putting your link anywhere bad. Otherwise competitors could do this to harm your rankings. The worst thing that can happen is those links will have no value.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    They can't hurt you by putting your link anywhere bad. Otherwise competitors could do this to harm your rankings. The worst thing that can happen is those links will have no value.
    I guess you ddint get it. He was suggesting not to link anyone form your website. More specifically, do not agree for any link exchange.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alemcherry View Post
    I guess you ddint get it. He was suggesting not to link anyone form your website. More specifically, do not agree for any link exchange.
    Ahh. Their grammar didn't make that very clear. In that case external links won't hurt your rankings. But they can cause you to get into trouble if you link to a bad neighborhood, though.