SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Site submission, how important is it?

I have recently started a web site and i want to know how important site submission is? Also, would anyone recommend signing up to a company who submits for you?

Thank you!
    John M. Stangland
    www.wakitv.com

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Site submission isn't all that important as most major search engines will find you based on other backlinks.

However, you can submit and it may get you indexed quicker so I'd always recommend submitting at least to the big four as it only takes five minutes of your time.

Submit your website to Google, Yahoo, MSN/Live and Ask and then focus on obtaining quality backlinks.

Others may disagree but signing up with companies who submit your site to search engines for you is a waste of time and money. Usually you can do this yourself from within software like WebCEO but even then, the most I've got out of it is lots of spam.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    csswiz is right, there is no need to engage with search engine submission service as most of them will blast your url to thousands of low to no quality directories, this will not help you much. You might consider professional seo companies if there is a need for outsourcing seo work on your site, but be careful and only consider reputable seo companies.

Major search engines discover new domains pretty fast and there is generally there is no need for a manual submission.
    Over 100 Free Wordpress Themes for download
    Get your website a free hosting account
    Dotservant.com professional website hosting since 2000

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not really necessary, most of the time google notice it, just go on adding unique & fresh content.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by micfo.com View Post
    It's not really necessary, most of the time google notice it, just go on adding unique & fresh content.
    It takes 5mins of your time though so it's worth submitting to the main four to ensure that your site gets indexed. Yes, you may get indexed anyway once Google picks up on backlinks but why not ensure that your site gets indexed by taking five minutes of your time to submit it yourself?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, site submission is not all that important. It can help slightly with the less known search engines. I would suggest WebCEO for all your submission and rank checking tasks.
    Honda Civic Forum - UK Civic Forum
    Web Host Reviews - Independent, honest host reviews
    My Portfolio - Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alec, search engines tend to frown upon site submission software (there's some pretty bad history regarding them and the way people used to abuse them in the past).

Dave, last I checked, Ask.com does not accept site submissions. They will find you via links from other sites. That is unless they changed that policy and I didn't get the memo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    Dave, last I checked, Ask.com does not accept site submissions.
    Good point, change that to submit to MSN/Live, Yahoo and Google then

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    Alec, search engines tend to frown upon site submission software (there's some pretty bad history regarding them and the way people used to abuse them in the past).
    Yes this is true, but WebCEO has counter-measures in place for this. Give it a try you will see what I mean. I have been using it for years.

Besides, if you were worried about this, untick the Google/Yahoo!/Live from being submitted, and submit to all the other smaller engines that really do want your submission in any form possible.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also use WebCEO and find it is a really good tool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to have WebCEO, Alec. I couldn't stand it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow really! Can you explain why? It is one of my favorite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't stand the user interface, it was prompting me to do things I never wanted it to do, it was very hard to FIND anything...

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't need to submit. I put a page up & Google finds it within minutes.
    TYCP Magazine
    Picspaces - image hosting with unlimited bandwidth
    Hollywood Encountered - submit your celebrity encounters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont worry about submiting at all, its a waste of time.

If you want to get index than slap up some adsense ads, those will get you indexed (not ranked) or you can use http://www.bluehatseo.com/quit-quick-indexing-tool/ which i use.

I have never ever submited a website, its pointless. I dont even use google webmaster tools because I dont want google knowing my data. Kinda scary :-s

Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waraas View Post
    Dont worry about submiting at all, its a waste of time.
    No it's not. It's like knocking on the door and saying 'here I am', it doesn't guarantee getting indexed but it could speed up the process and as CSSwiz says, it's so quick to do, why not do it? It can't hurt unless you overdo it.
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whats the point? Your website will get indexed anyways. Its a waste of time, I rather spend the time writing content or building links.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Site submission is one of the important step in SEO. however it takes time to get listed but good source of traffic and backlinks to your site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whats the point? Your website will get indexed anyways. Its a waste of time, I rather spend the time writing content or building links.
    What's the point of lots of things then, for example site maps? You're just doing the same thing, saying 'here I am and this is how my site is structured', something se's can also figure out on their own, and it takes longer than submitting a URL.

The point is that every little helps but you need to do it right at the start, not much point when the site has been around a while, if it isn't getting indexed anyway there's probably a problem somewhere.

Plus, people who don't know how to build links quickly so bots can find their site have another option.

The more I think about it, the more reasons I can find.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whats the point of a sitemap???

Well... what you need in order to rank for a term for is are a thing called spiders. When you submit your site to google it says hey come look at my site. The same thing that backlinks do. When the spiders get to your website they will go to your sitemap and take a look around all of your pages. The sitemap lists all of your links clearly and the way spiders love.

The reason why I say that its worthless is because the spiders will go to your website and index you whether or not you submit. You could better spend your time building links than submitting to google.

Link building is easy, you can make a bunch of keyword real estate pages on digg and get indexed in 4 hours. Plus the spiders will keep coming back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well... what you need in order to rank for a term for is are a thing called spiders. When you submit your site to google it says hey come look at my site. The same thing that backlinks do. When the spiders get to your website they will go to your sitemap and take a look around all of your pages. The sitemap lists all of your links clearly and the way spiders love.

The reason why I say that its worthless is because the spiders will go to your website and index you whether or not you submit. You could better spend your time building links than submitting to google.

Link building is easy, you can make a bunch of keyword real estate pages on digg and get indexed in 4 hours. Plus the spiders will keep coming back.
    Doh...

That wooshing noise you heard was my point making a flyby...........

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes. You can write lots of great content in the one or two minutes it takes to submit to the three major search engines.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find that google tends to list a site faster it they find the link than if you submit the site. I do not submit sites anymore i let search engines find the links.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To enable users who are not comfortable with using either the main menu or the site search feature (if the site has one) to find what they're looking for with what they consider to be their preferred means of navigating through and/or searching a site. The SEO benefits (note I'm talking about site map pages, not XML metadata site maps here) are just icing on the cake.

But that's more of a usability issue anyway.

Well... what you need in order to rank for a term for is are a thing called spiders.
    No, what you need is great content that other sites want to link to which also happens to be relevant to what people are searching for. The spiders are really nothing more than pawns in the grand scheme of things (besides, you still need the search engine algorithms, the database to store the content, and a whole slew of other things that I'm not about to get into right now).

When you submit your site to google it says hey come look at my site. The same thing that backlinks do. When the spiders get to your website they will go to your sitemap and take a look around all of your pages. The sitemap lists all of your links clearly and the way spiders love.
    Spiders have no emotion. Therefore they are incapable of love.

However a sitemap (or a simple list based HTML menu that includes a link to every public page on the site before the content) does make it a lot easier for them to get around. Who'd have thought that a species that has such huge problems following directions ("You were supposed to turn left, you insensitive clod!" "No, the map clearly said I was supposed to turn right!" "Well you have it upside down then!" "Shut up, I know how to drive!" "Yeah, drive me crazy!") would be able to create a program that does it so well? (By the way, that particular couple hasn't even gotten to the exit they were supposed to take yet.)

John (stymiee) hit the nail right on the head. How much content or how many links can you create/build (respectively) inside of 90-120 seconds? Besides, if nothing else, at least consider submitting a site to the search engines to be good for your own peace of mind (and trust me, it's the smallest things that tend to nag us the most).

But is Digg really worth it in the long run? I'd rather have the links come from somewhere relevant (with far greater staying power) than the flash in the pan that Digg is. But that's just me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hehe