SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Having users log in, will this affect my traffic?

I have a free video website, if i make users sign in before they can view any videos, what will this do to my traffic? Is this a good idea? Thank you for your responses in advance!
    John M. Stangland
    www.wakitv.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It can definitely hurt your traffic, yes. I know if I had a choice between two similar websites and one made me log in to watch videos and the other didn't, I would be at the other one.
    Sara

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People will search for the videos they want to see at YouTube and not give your site a second thought, unless you can give them a very good reason to register.

By the way, "I want to send you my newsletter with affiliate links to products you don't need" isn't a good reason from their point of view.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would seriously not recommend this. People will be turned off instantly, and deem the video not worth watching.

And don't just bombard them with sign up buttons, give them incentive.
    Honda Civic Forum - UK Civic Forum
    Web Host Reviews - Independent, honest host reviews
    My Portfolio - Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about having a subset of the videos being free and then once you've viewed a certain number or to get to special pages/features you need to login. In your case it's going to seem like it's purely to get their e-mail addresses. I have a site that offers a free service geared specifically towards you so it only makes sense that you need to log in. It's to your advantage. Offer them something customized that has value and they'll take the time to do a quick registration and log in.
    NumaNuma.com - Show us your funny side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got some complaints from people about having to register and confirm emails in order to submit free links to my directory.

I felt I had valid reasons for doing so since I provide additional features after they register and available through a user control panel.

So I added some text to the registration form explaing why I required it. Hopefully knowing why might help some handle it better.

BungeeBones.com
    - A New Paradigm of Website Promotion