SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Business Name with the fake-word 'Lastic', referring to Elastic.. is it a good idea

There is a web innovation company that my friends and I want to start. Our vision is to create a web and possibly desktop applications that are different from today’s' solutions and will adapt to future trends. With that, we have been trying to figure out a name. We've been brainstorming by throwing in words we think relates to that vision.

Right now, we are on the fence with a name containing the made-up word 'Lastic', which is referring to Elastic. We think this is a great name that fits well, as the definition of elastic includes:

- Flexible, Resilient, and Supple
    - Quick to recover
    - Capable of adapting to change or a variety of circumstances
    - Capable of withstanding stress without injury

The thing we question though: Is using the world 'Elastic' in the business world okay? Keeping in mind the economics term of Elasticity..

(Note: The actual company name is not ‘Lastic’, it is combined with another word, however my friends do not want to disclose the whole name yet as nothing has been registered at the moment.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanielB
    The actual company name is not ‘Lastic’, it is combined with another word, however my friends do not want to disclose the whole name yet as nothing has been registered at the moment.
    Well it's pretty hard for us to help you then. You ask us if your company name is good, but won't give it to us.

I think Lastic is fine. If someone heard that name, they wouldn't need help on spelling it which is important for a domain. It's pretty easy to remember also.
    Honda Civic Forum - UK Civic Forum
    Web Host Reviews - Independent, honest host reviews
    My Portfolio - Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love to give let it be known, but my hands are tied since we all have an equal say in things.

Let me give them all a call now and ask them to reconsider being so secretive. I'll post the full name if I can, but I can say the other word is already a) positive, b) easy to remember and spell, and c) relates to our vision. The primary concern is just the Lastic part.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would register the .com domain before disclosing the name on a public forum.

Your name should function in your future market(s). Do you have access to key people within that market? If so, ask them about the name. Also it's important that you feel good and enthusiastic about the name. When you got a match in those two camps, you got a winner.
    George Skee
    Follow me at GeorgeSkee.com