SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Article Discussion

This is an article discussion thread for discussing the SitePoint article, "Secret Benefits of Accessibility Part 1: Increased Usability"

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There wasn't actually that much here that I didn't already know and I'm wouldn't say that I'm that clued up either. I think the main thing is that it seems to replicate much that is written elsewhere on the web about usablity. It might be a good idea to tackle these kinds of common issues from a fresh perspective, such as seeing it through the eye of users with visual, aural, and motor problems looking at a number of different websites that reflect modern design.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For #2 Descriptive Form Labels, a handy addition to using the 'label for' tag is the addition of:

label {cursor: hand;}

in your style sheet. That way, the extra clickable area is more apparent to the user...

I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scout141
    For #2 Descriptive Form Labels, a handy addition to using the 'label for' tag is the addition of:

in your style sheet. That way, the extra clickable area is more apparent to the user...
    I find that can be confusing, as it then resembles a link.
    Colin Temple [twitter: @cailean]
    Web Analyst at Napkyn

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scout141

Yeah, if you only want it to work in IE. Otherwise, use "cursor: pointer;"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doh! Wasn't aware it didn't work outside of IE. Thanks for the tip! . Ya learn something new everyday.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy About IE

Well, I found that the clicking of the text does not work in IE very well when applied to radio options. A label tag must be wrapped around the text and the associated radio button for each radio button. The results work in Firefox/Opera/etc., but not in IE. Almost as if it only applies the selection to the last instance of the named object. Good ol' IE.

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WebCudgel
    Well, I found that the clicking of the text does not work in IE very well when applied to radio options. A label tag must be wrapped around the text and the associated radio button for each radio button. The results work in Firefox/Opera/etc., but not in IE. Almost as if it only applies the selection to the last instance of the named object. Good ol' IE.
    never had any problems with it, when done properly, without the need to wrap it around the radio button. just make sure all radio buttons that are mutually exclusive have the same NAME attribute, but different ID that is then targetted by the FOR attribute of the relevant LABEL.
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was EXACTLY what I was hoping to find out... yup.. works just fine. Thanks a bunch, redux

SitePoint Enthusiast scattermachine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ANOTHER great article by Trent.

Thank you for breaking it down, Barney-style!

Bob Easton
    SitePoint Community Guest
    Ermmmm, about "unanounced pop-ups:"

The place you write for, SitePoint.com is an annoying offender, constantly throwing advertising pop-ups. This is a smart, savvy place. Why do they still abuse a practice that's well known to be annoying and non profitable.

I'm taking SitePoint out of my RSS aggregator because it doesn't yet have pop-up blocking. WHY do we have to add baggage to our client tools to overcome the annoying behavior of web sites? SitePoint needs to have its pop-up beahvior castrated.

I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Easton
    The place you write for, SitePoint.com is an annoying offender, constantly throwing advertising pop-ups.
    That's a rather liberal use of the word "constantly" there. As far as I can see, they have one pop-up. I'm not a fan of it, but let's not exaggerate.
    Colin Temple [twitter: @cailean]
    Web Analyst at Napkyn

Paul Sterling
    Accesibility actually begins with accurate site description and title tags. Too many sites make promises they can't keep. Misleading descriptors won't lead to sales or improve your site's PR. Nice piece, Trent. Several new points on accessibility. Thanks,
    Paul Sterling

Anonymous
    good article, very true.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................