SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too much CPU usage in projector file

Hi, I got a flash file that when I click a button it starts the instalation of an outside software. But I noticed that it takes a huge amount of CPU memory even tough itīs supposed to have stop, since you can only click on it after all the animation stops.

At first, I used a simple command of Stop when the animation ends, and then if you want you click on Installation it goes to the fscommand exe, to start the instalation.

If is any help Iīm using the swiffcanvas software to generate the projector file.

How do I make the Demo really stop all itīs work while the Instalation is running?

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, why a flash file for an installer?

just a guess, i don't have much experience with swift, maybe it doesn't optimize as well as flash?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me see if I can explain. The flash file is a demo. From this file, I call the other software (there are about 6 of them), wich is the one I want to install.

Swiffcanvas compresses ok, but the problem is not the file size, but the way it keeps "running" while the instalation of the other software proceds. And I also noticed that this happens to Swiffcanvas, because I created a projector file for this demo using Projector Launcher 1.0 and it works fine. The demo "stops" after I begin the instalattion of the software.

Unfortunatelly, Swiffcanvas is better than Projector Launcher, besides this problem, wich I still donīt know if it is from the flash or from the swiffcanvas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Humph, I don't use these apps, only use Flash 5. However, I can appreciate that complicated Flash animation can hit CPU's big time, especially on slow computers.

What I don't understand is this... if the movie has a stop action in, and nothing is 'animating' as such (unless you have movie clips that are doing their biz on the stage at the stop point), the cpu usage of the Flash should go down to nothing bascially, as the computer is not having to render any animation-very puzzled by this!
    Jonnya Freelance Creative
    UK Freelance designer and web developer
    Website | Portfolio | Photoshop Tips

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    johnya,

Iīm as puzzled as you are. Thereīs no action or movieclips going on after the Stop. And I know for sure is not my flash file but a bizarre interaction of it with Swiffcanvas. If I generate a simple flash projector file, it works fine - and thatīs what Iīll do. Like you, Iīll make this on "plain" flash, since I have deadlines and no time too fool around.

Thanks.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm, do you have a lot of one-frame movieClips around?
    Unless you tell each movieClip to stop it will loop showing the same frame over and over and thus appearing to be doing nothing , while in reality it renders that frame over and over.
    You only notice this if you have a lot of movieClips though so in most cases it's not a problem.

Just a thought...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rydeman, the funny thing is that I donīt have any movieclips going at all.
    Thanks for the advice about it, because I'll do new one who has the situation you described - tough like you said I don't think this should take memory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One final thought... Complicated looping actionscript can also soak up a fair bit of processor power..none of this going on too I presume (I can't imageine you are rendering a complicated spinning 3d object in actionscript, unless you are some kinda maths/actionscript genius (no offence if you are!!)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jonnya, no offence taken since I hate math ;-)
    And no, Iīm not using anything that would take cpu memory.
    My problem is begining to be with swiffcanvas...
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems so... good luck in working this out!