SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Getting Quality Links for an Article Directory

I have a strange predicament. I run an article directory which, by its very nature, should attract links back to the site but it doesn't!

Most people come to the site to read the articles (which is great!) but few ever re-publish the articles so I don't have that many links.

How can I get quality backlinks into that site? I'm prepared at looking at all sorts of strategies as long as they're white-hat and, preferably, add value to my visitors!
    Norio De Sousa
    Free Articles

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry not to put this nicer, but it's not my style. There are a million and one general article directories already, and another one adds no value to the web. You'll never attract *quality* links if your site doesn't do anything a thousand others don't already -- and it doesn't matter much since most of the content of the site is duplicated across all of others, so it can't rank well in search engines. Maybe a directory of content written in Zulu would be more unique.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Dan

I agree with you full-heartedly and here's my position as I see it:

- The site was the first of its kind in South Africa meaning it doesn't have too much competition on Google.co.za.

- It gets about 1,300 unique visitors a day.

So that's pretty good. But, of course, it needs to be better.

I like the Zulu idea but that's likely to be very expensive.

What else can I try to make my site more unique?

I feel that I need to find a way to get people to contribute new, interesting and unique content to the site but getting them to do that has, so far, proven to be a mission.

Thanks man
    Norio De Sousa
    Free Articles

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since my last post here, I've made some significant changes to the site...

- Improved the profiles layout.
    - Added each author's articles to his/her profile.
    - Added "featured" authors on the front page.

I must say, the site looks more "real" now and less like a fly-by-night AdSense site.

I'd still like to do more things to really add value for my visitors and authors. I think the most important thing would be to do things that encourage South Africans to register and add articles. That will boost the site's uniqueness and then probably totally dominate the SA search scene.

Well that's my plan in any case
    Norio De Sousa
    Free Articles

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a good idea. If you can get SA authors to write for your site and not every article directory, you'll have something unique, and that'll pay off. It always does.

SitePoint Enthusiast Mike Newton's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might consider hosting some type of article contest etc.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Dan Your vote of confidence certainly helps! It feels like I'm headed in the right direction.

Mamjap, that's a great idea! What kind of prize can I give away?
    Norio De Sousa
    Free Articles

SitePoint Enthusiast Mike Newton's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Norio De Sousa View Post
    Thanks Dan Your vote of confidence certainly helps! It feels like I'm headed in the right direction.

Mamjap, that's a great idea! What kind of prize can I give away?
    Here is a couple of possible ideas. You might include that entrants tell-a-friend or get a bonus prize for the most referrals who either enter the contest or sign up at your site. Either way, you should be able to build your optin list for future offers etc.

1. Look for some PLR, outsource or design your own tutorial package re-article writing, copywriting etc. You might include PDF, Audio and Video in the package which is easy to do for virtually no cost/low cost. You can also include article directory submission software (free) or similar. Or do the same for another topic that you believe to be related to what you are doing which you can include a digital package. Creating and over-delivering on a quality value package does not have to cost an arm and a leg.

2. Contact some travel agents/hotels/tour operators and see if they will sponsor some form of weekend/short vacation/tour in SA or a destination of your choice in exchange for advertising on one or every page of your site.

3. Same as 2 but maybe a restaurant package.

4. Similar to 1+2 but possibly contact other marketers or online/offline businesses who would be willing to sponsor a package or gift in exchange for advertising, cross promotion. E.g You will send their offers to your members if they sponsor a gift.

5. You can also check out eBay or Alibaba.com (a great resource-check it out) for physical products such as ipods, mp3 players, games, Elvis Presley sightings (maybe not Elvis..but who knows??) etc or a huge range of goodies that you could pick up for a great price and package them as a gift.

That's just a couple for now which may or may not be applicable but I think that some other members may have some input??? You could also poll your current members for their ideas for a worthy prize/s and you can promote the contest in forums, blogs, free/paid advertising, free/paid press releases, social bookmarking sites etc.

Hope this helps a little. Cheers.

Micheal