SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keyword in pagename or entire url?

Hello,

I got confused when I saw a colleague of mine using one keyword two times in one url.

Take for example (let's asume the keyword is foo):
    http://www.domain.com/foo/foo-register.html
    http://www.domain.com/foo/foo-login.html

The directory foo contains all the pages about the subject foo.
    IMO, it would be more readable, and more logical, like this:
    http://www.domain.com/foo/register.html
    http://www.domain.com/foo/login.html

Having a keyword in your pagename does affect pagerank, but does that rule apply if the keyword isn't really in your pagename (which would be register.html and login.html) but in your entire url, like a directory?
    Does search engines punish or reward you for using one keyword twice in one url this way?

Grtz,
    Vince
    FOR SALE: 1 set of morals, never used, will sell cheap

I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The URL has no effect on PageRank, if you're referring to Google's ranking system (as opposed to page rank -- the rank of a page). PageRank is influenced by incoming links only.

Having the keyword twice in a URL won't make much difference to the keywords for your page. I'd say it looks spammy and is probably less friendly to users -- although in theory it might have a positive effect since it represents a higher % of all the terms in the URL. I wouldn't worry about it though, this isn't the thing that will push you over/under the top.

As for whether or not foo-register.html or foo/register.html make a difference -- they don't.
    Colin Temple [twitter: @cailean]
    Web Analyst at Napkyn

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would use foo once or search engines might list it as foo foo for search terms. It does happen i have seen it

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    google pay little attention to filename but more towards the theme of the entire folder, but yahoo seems to be putting more weight in filename though
    Over 100 Free Wordpress Themes for download
    Get your website a free hosting account
    Dotservant.com professional website hosting since 2000

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally i don't think it really matters what url you use as fatnewt already said keyword in url advantage is not that significant to matter much. Also, users rarely look at the individual URLs while surfing a site other than home page url, if they do have to share link, then their is always copy and paste available.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thx for clearing that out.

Best regards,
    Vince
    FOR SALE: 1 set of morals, never used, will sell cheap

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would use the keyword twice. You have to remeber that when people search, each keyword is highlighted in the results, so that means that the keyword would be highlighted twice in the serps.

I dont think that it would have a huge effect in the rankings, but it wouldnt hurt. Just dont go overboard.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waraas View Post
    I would use the keyword twice. You have to remeber that when people search, each keyword is highlighted in the results, so that means that the keyword would be highlighted twice in the serps.

I dont think that it would have a huge effect in the rankings, but it wouldnt hurt. Just dont go overboard.
    But longer URLs are bad for usability as it makes it hard to remember it and type it in. If the page is going to rank well with it being in there only once you'll get great click thrus anyway and didn't have to sacrifice usability to do it.

Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    But longer URLs are bad for usability as it makes it hard to remember it and type it in. If the page is going to rank well with it being in there only once you'll get great click thrus anyway and didn't have to sacrifice usability to do it.
    Seconded. I wouldn't use the second Foo unless there was a usability/structural reason for it.
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.