User Tag List

Thread: Link or Content

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Link or Content

After we had completed a training session with our new link team, one of the senior trainees informed them that we would be having a debate on the topic "Link or Content - Which is the boss?"

As we all know and have been hearing that content is the king and link is the secondary aspect as regards to SEO, what would you guys opine on this subject in the modern SEO era. Would you go only with quality content or would you concentrate mainly on link building.

Lets share our experiences through this platform.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    content is important to impress your site visitor, a good piece of content may lead to sale or can be a link bait to the site, link building is mainly to move up in search engine ranking to gain exposure for the website.

Unless you have alternate source of traffic to a link magnet article (so that it will link build itself), otherwise link building is an essential work to gain exposure for the content page.
    Over 100 Free Wordpress Themes for download
    Get your website a free hosting account
    Dotservant.com professional website hosting since 2000

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by submitqueen.com View Post
    Would you go only with quality content or would you concentrate mainly on link building.
    But it's not a do one or the other decision. You can do both.

For me I do the first and forget the second. I try and write content that is good enough for people to link to it of their own volition (that's the whole idea behind the search engines giving weight to links). I don't like begging links.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not only the fact that you can do both, but you should. Start with the killer content, then get others to link to it. When done properly, not only will you be able to have your cake, but you'll be able to eat it too.

<HomerSimpson> Mmm... cake... </HomerSimpson>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Dan is exactly right. Content will always remain the most powerful aspect of SEO. The right content - the kind that takes a lot of effort to put together - will gain links automatically, without any extra work. Dan said it best: "have your cake, but you'll be able to eat it too."
    Visit Creative Something, my creativity blog.

I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All you need to remember is that a search engine's entire purpose is to find good content. If you have good content, they will want to find you and your efforts will last longer.

And I really want some cake right now.
    Colin Temple [twitter: @cailean]
    Web Analyst at Napkyn

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you do not have good content your site is limited on how well it will be listed. Links are important and should be added when ever possible but you always need good content.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Work on both, having quality content would significantly reduce the effort you need to put to acquire backlinks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go 50/50 effort.

Links seem to come in real slow when you focus on just content, which is bad if your trying to make a profit....jump start your link building buy purchasing some high traffic, quality links and get some people talking about your website, that should help jump start it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think 50% efforts should be given to content and rest should be given for promoting content and link building equally.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    100&#37; content. Content means you have happy visitors which means conversions. It also means you get great links. The best of both worlds. If you focus on links all you get are links and ones that usually aren't as good as the ones good content will get you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Links get you ranked, content get you conversions....
    To me good contents are more important, you can actually get people linking to you without you asking them to if you have fantastic contents on your site.
    It is possible to have a successful site with no backlinks whatsoever, (using PPC of course)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hafsoh View Post
    Links get you ranked, content get you conversions....
    To me good contents are more important, you can actually get people linking to you without you asking them to if you have fantastic contents on your site.
    It is possible to have a successful site with no backlinks whatsoever, (using PPC of course)

I second this.

If you are doing this web stuff as a hobbie than yes, just focus on your content. However, if you need to make money off your website than you should focus on the links and content.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me - it depends on the nature of the site and the approach or marketing strategy.

I also don't agree 100% with stymiee for the simple reason that- the web is so vast that - not every site is looking for Conversion or Affiliate sales.

To stress my point further-
    - a site dealing totally with furniture sales online would need Good On-Page SEO and links than contents. The site has nothing to do with random visitors - it requires highly targetted traffic to have good conversion rates. So - this site requires more links than contents as it has limited scope for adding regular/fresh contents unless the company runs blogs or forums.

On the other-hand, a site looking for high number visitors and offering valuable information must have high quality contents. For this type of sites - content is more important than links as SEs will reward them for their valuable contents and people wil give them links.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I vote for links.

My co-worker formerly worked on a link building team (20 people on that team) at a site that sells stock photography (fotosearch). The site is now PR7 and ranks top 3 for just about any stock photography term you can think of. There are many other companies that have better quality and a wider variety of photos available but this company outranks them because of their aggressive link building.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhnrang View Post
    I also don't agree 100% with stymiee for the simple reason that- the web is so vast that - not every site is looking for Conversion or Affiliate sales.
    Conversion means getting your visitors to do whatever it is you want them to do. You don't have to sell anything to convert.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Content every time, having good content will get you backlinks anyway !

Woc
    ]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Content means a lot to me than links, it's the information that matters to the visitors...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nowadays content is more dominant but still am using link building hehhe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quality content will give backlinks, but also give some time to link building to back it up

Twitter: @SprightlyMedia Manpasand's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Content will always the king. Without good content you cannot get conversions. If you have a good content link popularity will automatically happen. So I would prefer to create good content than link popularity.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good content means that your visitors will stay in your site longer backlinks to get high rank in google

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say Content is the KING. Without content, there is NO LINK. So Quality Content will bring Quality Links and leads to successful road.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Content is very important! I just updated a few of my website with better content, and see better ranking already