SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Title and META tags includes

Are there any draw backs to pulling your page title and meta tag information from a database, say php and MySQL?

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nope. Search engines only see your HTML. Not how you generate it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually this would be useful, if you had a backend script setup you could alter the meta tags via a web page for any of your web pages. Would take some work but could be very effective.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ssandecki View Post
    Actually this would be useful, if you had a backend script setup you could alter the meta tags via a web page for any of your web pages. Would take some work but could be very effective.
    Yes, putting the meta in a db and uses codes to pull them for different pages is especially handy when you are dealing with large sites, easier future updating as well.
    Over 100 Free Wordpress Themes for download
    Get your website a free hosting account
    Dotservant.com professional website hosting since 2000

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem . SES check only the page even its asp and others no problem...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest, there is some debate about the extent to which the search engines really use the contents of these meta tags, but I believe that they should be included. At worst they will be ignored.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by submitqueen.com View Post
    To be honest, there is some debate about the extent to which the search engines really use the contents of these meta tags, but I believe that they should be included. At worst they will be ignored.
    Keyword meta tags, yes, but not so much the meta description. Especially if you write it effectively and properly. At worst, the search engine would pull what it considers to be the most relevant snippet of content on the page for what the user is actually searching for.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only problem is risk of duplication. Remember the bots only see the html that you spit out, not the underlying programming.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

include keywords also

I hate to be contrarian, but Yahoo (at least) still does base part of their algorithym on the "keywords" metatag (and ASK too).

I cite as proof for you "nay sayers", none other than Danny Sullivan. He tested it not too long ago (< six months) and proved this to be true. (Yes, I was skeptical and a "no keywords" guy, but hey, if it is a factor, and you have the time, you should still include/use it).

His conclusion was that it is useful for misspellings and some other situations.

I am guessing it is based on the likelihood that your content is really not unique and therefore the many other factors in the algorithym, for lack of a better word, "trump" the keyword metatag alone and therefore other pages are retrieved before a page that has only the word in the keyword metatag. But what I am trying to say is that 1/2 of the SEs use it as a means of retrieval and ranking, so if you're messing around with the metatags already, it might be worth the extra 60 seconds.

: ) SME

PS: Ahh, yes. Here's the thread...

http://searchengineland.com/070905-194221.php