SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SitePoint Guru bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm now trying to gain understanding on how to write "good content" that would create a cohesive unit with the rest of on-page SEO elements.
    Wow. Fancy. Can I get a translation on that?

If you're talking about writing content with SEO in mind, that's one thing. Too often, pages are written for google, and only google.

To turn this from a SEO discussion, which it most assuredly is, into a content writing discussion, check out:

Get linked to get found in search engines: Part 1

Words Drive Action: An Interview with Gerry McGovern That action would be persuading humans to link.

Search optimization, not search engine optimization

Getting links means writing something that can't be found everywhere else. Frankly, if the articles for magazines were written like SEO optimal pages, you and I would never read them. Rarely do articles SEO'd within an inch of their life actually tell you anything new. They have zero or near zero human information value.

I do not believe SEO has to exclude good content, that's just the way it turns out in far too many cases.

What's missing from this disscussion so far:

-- Who the reader is (that would be a human with a profile)
    -- Subjects they might actually find valuable enough to link
    -- Any additional objective than page rank (sales, subscriptions, repeat visits, generating links)

Had those elements been anywhere in this thread, it might belong in this section. I think it might be useful to discuss them from here on out, just to give the impression of a thread on writing.

Of course the direction of the thread can be changed at any point -- but at this point it would be a tangential discussion.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DCrux View Post
    Wow. Fancy. Can I get a translation on that?
    I'm glad you have enjoyed it What I was trying to say is as follows. I do know how to write an article (been to school before). I do believe though that an article in conjunction with the rest of the elements (title, description, headers ...) is what will make the page "look" better to the SEs. There are many reasons why people buy magazines. There are also many reasons why SEs "buy" webpages. I believe that a solid webpage doesn't just have a great article, but it also has other elements that make SE "buy" that page - hence the cohesive unit concept.

By the way, those are excellent pieces of work you had posted. I wish I knew about them earlier. Indeed, writing is not just presenting facts, but also making the visitor "feel something" after he/she is done reading that article. That's what makes a good article stand apartment from a "purely factual" one. I tend to write factual articles.

-Who the reader is (that would be a human with a profile)
    Well, the visitor of my site is most likely a mother who is looking for a daycare for her child.

-Subjects they might actually find valuable enough to link
    Although there are some good articles on the site, I believe it's the daycare listings and the reviews that will ultimately get people interested in linking to the site. Although, I wouldn't disregard the articles just yet.

-Any additional objective than page rank (sales, subscriptions, repeat visits, generating links)
    YES, the objective is to help families in Canada to get a "virtual word of mouth" help as they are looking for daycares for their children. As more and more parents participate by reviewing daycares the site will gain more and more value for parents.
    godaycare.com - Canadian daycare listings with reviews
    Parenting and Child care Forum - Canadian child care forum

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Laura,

What I see in your content is that you need to make it personal for the individual parents.

For instance, I would change one sentence to read, "Nothing is more important than making sure your child stays safe and healthy in someone else's care."

I think I'd focus more on the point that other parents have reviewed daycares to help "your" child.... This is "your chance" to help other parents find...

You do that, but you do it later in your content. You need to bring it up top where it's the first thing your user reads.

Instead of "help us" you'll make your user feel more important if you say something like, "Use GoDayCare to Make a Difference in a Child's Life".

You have the right idea, but you can make the content stronger if you put your visitors in the driver's seat. You ride shotgun for them. Word your content to make them feel like your partners, not your helpers.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a piece here on using personas for writing. Personas are a technique for getting into your reader's shoes.

I think you've got the basic articles. But what gets someone to link is something like how to evaluate the childcare center. You also have to figure out what new trends are coming and write about them. People are more likely to link to something they didn't know, like some interesting new trend.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a piece here on using personas for writing. Personas are a technique for getting into your reader's shoes.

I think you've got the basic articles. But what gets someone to link is something like how to evaluate the childcare center. You also have to figure out what new trends are coming and write about them. People are more likely to link to something they didn't know, like some interesting new trend.
    I'd love to read your piece. Where is it located? Can you provide a direct link?

I agree. Rehsshing the same old content is like reinventing the wheel. It won't get you the links. You just gave me an answer to why people would potentially link to my content. Thanks for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting read. Some of it I already knew; some is new to me. It's almost like you are talking about me in that article. I'm a developer and that's my strength. Most of the content on the site is written by me (excluding the articles). The exception is that I'm also a parent, so I can easily relate to my target audience moving forward with this project. A professional copywriter might have the knowledge to write better articles, but he/she might not have the understanding that only comes from experience of being a parent. Sometimes knowing your own trade is not good enough. That's just my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you donít have any interesting content (or content that is also available on hundreds of other sites) you will not reach many people no matter how much you polish the surface of your site.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beam View Post
    If you donít have any interesting content (or content that is also available on hundreds of other sites) you will not reach many people no matter how much you polish the surface of your site.
    Yep, so true.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There will surely be different views regaring this topic.....I am an SEO so let me tell u in the language of SEO....

The good content.........the good content should always be unique means not be copied....coz copied content don have any uniqueness and some time it can be easily found that where that content have been taken...

The good content should be such that it should be to the topic....

The good content should be such that is should be free from error I mean grammaticaly error.

The good content should be of simple language.

Now for seo the content should be rich of keywords....simple and clear to the user....

George Abraham

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can you consider a content unique if you summarize the information you gathered via the net plus adding your own views about your subject?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think so, remember, however, that computersare not humnas, they can't understand what you are doing. So, if you copy articles word for word, they will look like a copy.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya dear....its true from my side...

C I am a SEO, so from my point of view a good content is that what u said.....means the content should not be copied from any where, beside that the content u r taking from reference site should be modified, else that ( copied content) will create probem for ur site..................it shoud not be like the original one, rest content from ur side is always good one.

but...but....but......evrything u find it or u write it should be clear, grammaticaly correct and ofcourse meaning ful that can be understood by any viewer.................

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Talking SEO and Quality Content - one thing that I see way too often is the overuse of keywords. It shouts Search Me and not Read Me.

For example, I have no interest in a site with content such as:

The best show on TV is Gilmore Girls. Gilmore Girls is a really great show that was on the CW. The Gilmore Girls is a show about two girls named Gilmore who live in the town of Stars Hollow. On Gilmore Girls. . . etc.

It's been said before but I'll say it again. Write for readers not for for search engines.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya cyntiab

I agree with u......xactly for SEO this is really true...........content should not use over kywords. I agree with the xample u gave...........

content should we unique............and and keyword rich............I don mean use keyword in every sentence........these should be used in a way so that the user finds it easy and read it with out gettign irritate............

fine cynthiab...........

George
    Last edited by stymiee; Feb 20, 2008 at 06:30.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know everyone has own approach to writing...
    http://www.gooruze.com/articles/511/...endly-Content/
    read this...interesting...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good writing in my opinion would have these factors:

Unique
    Interesting
    Informative

A lot of people think that keyword stuffing articles is the route to go. They are sadly mistaken.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree keyword content creating only works in the short run. To keep users coming back you need a different angle, uniqueness or functionality.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have quite a few people ask me if I would repost their articles on my site. The articles are already posted on their own sites. Should I accept? To a SE it would look like I simple ripped off someone else's work word for word.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraDC View Post
    I have quite a few people ask me if I would repost their articles on my site. The articles are already posted on their own sites. Should I accept? To a SE it would look like I simple ripped off someone else's work word for word.
    I wouldn't bother with this. It is duplicate content which benefits nobody.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    I wouldn't bother with this. It is duplicate content which benefits nobody.
    Wouldn't it benefit my visitors? If running a good web site means catering to the visitor first and the SE second than how would reposting good articles benefit nobody? Are you assuming that people will READ the original article before finding it on my site?

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraDC View Post
    Wouldn't it benefit my visitors? If running a good web site means catering to the visitor first and the SE second than how would reposting good articles benefit nobody? Are you assuming that people will READ the original article before finding it on my site?
    There are a lot of aspects to consider. One of which they may recognize the article as being unoriginal and having a negative opinion about your website as result. This can be whether they read it first on your site or not.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good content from a visitors perception is that something which conveys clear and dense meaning about a topic and from SEO perspective is the optimum use of keywords...

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think "good content" is content that addresses people's need for help, information ... Therefore, an article can be very useful to one person and totally useless for another. Content, in general, should be impossible to judge by a computer. What are your thoughts?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nileshmishra View Post
    A good content from a visitors perception is that something which conveys clear and dense meaning about a topic and from SEO perspective is the optimum use of keywords...
    And what exactly is the "optimum use of keywords"? I have yet to stumble upon a formula