User Tag List

Thread: site has gone

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

site has gone

any idea why my site has disappeared from google? it was there this morning, was ranking well, looked tonight and its gone completely?

what do i do?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What url is it and what phrase were you ranking for?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    www.sugardaddybabes.com

was ranking 2 for sugar daddy
    3 for sugar daddy dating
    and 32 for free dating

i can find the site when i search on the url so it is in the index but dropped well away from the rankings for certain key words it had up to this morning, and has had for a good while.

what would normally cause this? could it be temporary? i read it could happen if site is slow or down when googlebot visits...

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could be temporary. That's quite a big drop for rankings you've held for a while. Have you changed anything recently?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not really changed anything of note, added a few new articles, added some social networking bookmarks in the footer but cant imagine they would cause a problem.

i could remove them and see if they caused it.

not really got any idea for sure why it disappeared. certainly frustrating as i put quite a bit of effort into the on-page optimisation and article link building, but i guess thats the delights of SEO.... unpredictable...

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The changes you have mentioned shouldn't make much difference to your rankings IMO. Most probably it is a temporary thing. Do you keep track of your backlinks, any major changes there?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i don't keep a close eye on them to be honest, so could something with backlinks have made google drop my site?

if so , what control would i have over that?

so when this happens is it a case of starting all over again?

i was about to put some time and effort into trying to get my travel blog higher up the rankings but it hardly seems to give you any incentive when sites just disappear for no reason...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check your outbound links to ensure you arent linking to any spammy sites or communities.

Yahoo site explorer is showing you have 860 inlinks from outside of your domain a lot of them from here. I Think you may need some more ontopic links from sites on a similar theme to your own.

In the short term add another paragraphy or two of text to your homepage ontopic and containing you keywords. Improving your site with ontopic content could put you back into googles goodbooks.
    Devon Websites distinctive and effective website design.

Recent projects:
    Golf Holiday Tenerife, Halcyon Landscapes, Medical Bookshop.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok thanks

will try this but its hard to get quality inbound links...

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How old is the site?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    only a year old, although the url is older...

i did have some people submitting it to a variety of directories over this time, and ive avoided any linking to other sites even in articles as i know this can be risky.

i take on board the comments about more content on home apge, but i see a lot of sites in top 10 for many niches that i dont understand why they are there , ie minimal text, lots of graphics etc...

ive tried to have a meaningful title, use header tags, relevant content where i can, well structured navigation (i think!) but maybe my backlinks are not good enough.

i will see if anything improves next time its indexed by google.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evvo1961 View Post
    ive avoided any linking to other sites even in articles as i know this can be risky.
    I wouldn't worry about that. If the site is a good source and worth linking to, I doubt you will find yourself linking to a link farm or bad neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by evvo1961 View Post
    i take on board the comments about more content on home apge, but i see a lot of sites in top 10 for many niches that i dont understand why they are there , ie minimal text, lots of graphics etc...
    What you consider quality and others consider quality aren't always the same. But, even if it is true, then you should expect to outrank them at some point. Just don't expect it to be quick.[/QUOTE]