SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

did google drop me?

I used to have a top 5 position on google for "drum and bass" but now I can't even find my site within the first 10 pages of results. Not only that I can't find myself within results for "dnbradio"

my domain name = www.dnbradio.com

I don't recall any major changes within the past 6 months. Any ideas what could have happened? or.. what I should do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shoebox View Post
    Not only that I can't find myself within results for "dnbradio"
    Showed up number two for me on Google.com.

You only have the term "drum and base" one time on your home page which probably doesn't help. The current fifth placed site for a google search on "drum and base" is http://download.breakbeat.co.uk/ which has a lot more content on it's home page than you do. Your home page is quite empty of real content so perhaps Google is picking up on this and dropping your site accordingly. Just a theory though ...

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "drum and bass" isn't prominent in some of the other sites that appear on the first page either. di.fm shows up on the front page and they don't even have the term "drum and bass" in their title, nor any extensive content using the keyphrase. Our site used to show up above most others and is older than most of these other sites showing up on the front page. We have extensive backlinks as well, so I'm really confused how this happened.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked analytics and I see that all my keyword referrals from google dropped dramatically on Dec 17th. Referrals from google for my top keywords are pulling next to nothing now.

I'm guessing Google penalized me for something... probably my text link ads?

Another odd thing I've noticed is that my google adsense revenue has dropped down to half of what it used to be. This started happening about 2 months ago.

Now that I'm getting so little for adsense ads, I'm afraid to remove my tla's. I wish I could figure out what's going on.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been reading around.. I'm removing all my TLA's for now and requesting reconsideration through Google. Hope this works :/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crazy concept- but can't you just ask them at Google why you were dropped lower? Yes, there are a lot of things that obviously go into your ranking, but they should be able to tell you , shouldn't they?

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by design.doc View Post
    Crazy concept- but can't you just ask them at Google why you were dropped lower? Yes, there are a lot of things that obviously go into your ranking, but they should be able to tell you , shouldn't they?
    They don't respond to inquiries like this.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish they did respond to that.. I never really know what caused the drop.. but I already am back in the top results for my keywords and my pagerank jumped from 3 to 5 overnight. I guess I'll never know if it was my tla's or what that caused the issue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shoebox View Post
    and my pagerank jumped from 3 to 5 overnight.
    Huh? How do you know this?

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waraas View Post
    Huh? How do you know this?
    One night his PR was 3, the next it was 5.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    PR doesn't jump from 3 to 5 over night unless there was a toolbar update. Since they occur only 4 times a year (or so) I'm guessing this didn't quite happen as described.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the last update lower your site. You need more content on pages and keyword your going after.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's not much more content to develop for my site hehe.. I have artist names, song titles, and a page for each track in our playlist, which also includes album info and such... Google should auto recognize this and rank us accordingly (i suppose).

I do know that my page rank was 3 when I posted this thread, but now it is 5 (according to google toolbar).

I also heard it takes weeks for re-inclusion, but this was fixed within DAYS after I filed reinclusion.. so.. maybe it was just a fluke? Maybe my TLA's didn't really get us excluded from search results? I would love to reinstate my TLA's because I need the income. :F

On the other hand it was not until I removed the TLA's and filed the reinclusion request did we show up in the search results again. *sigh* I need to find a way to supplement the income I've lost by removing the TLA's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So then is there a specific way that these search engines pick the order of the way the sites pop up or is it all based on the keywords the author puts in and the words the person doing the searching puts in?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by design.doc View Post
    So then is there a specific way that these search engines pick the order of the way the sites pop up or is it all based on the keywords the author puts in and the words the person doing the searching puts in?
    There are a lot of factors that determine how pages are ranked. Don't bother asking what they all are as that's naturally a secret. But if you read the Search Engine Optimization FAQ you can get a good understanding of how they basically work.