SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Domain trademark/development question

I am not sure of something and I want to see what your opinions are since I am not in hot water and use them for personal use only.

I have 2 domains that have the term centerpost in them and there is a trade mark for centerpost and centerpost communications registered to the same company. The company however was taken over and merged into another company. So now there site redirects to the new company yet displays the logo of CenterPost Communications and states that it is now West Communications group. I was just wanting opinions as to whether I should wait on developing them or how long I should wait or if I should develop them at all.
    My blog is at bsteng.com
    Plus I am trying to start up a friendly
    VW Golf/Rabbit and Jetta forum at ClubGolfJet.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trademark is country specific, if you're in Tumbuktu and they are in the USA, and, you sell widgets and they sell financial services, there's nothing to worry about.

Now if they're in the US and you're in the US and they sell travel and you sell travel , then don't even think about it.
    Last edited by asprookie; Jan 3, 2008 at 21:30.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both are US and field of communications but a different slightly I think. There TM however is for centerpost is for

Electronic communication services, namely, electronic transmission of data through a web-based communication hub; electronic store, process and forward messaging services, namely, wired and wireless, voice, facsimile, mail and paging services.

and for centerpost communications

automated voice services, namely voice mail services and voice activated call forwarding services; electronic transmission of data and information via voice, facsimile, email, and wireless messaging

and I was looking at using my domains for web hosting.
    My blog is at bsteng.com
    Plus I am trying to start up a friendly
    VW Golf/Rabbit and Jetta forum at ClubGolfJet.org

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just my opinion that that's touch and go. In the face of what you've stated in
    so far, you might have a legitimate use.

OTOH, if the trademark holder can prove their mark is "famous", then you can
    encounter difficulty showing users won't likely confuse your domain name with
    theirs. Then again, likelihood of confusion is where it all boils down to.

It really depends if the mark holder might find it an issue.