SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A database but not as we know it

Ok this probably is a bit of a noobish question.

I was wondering if instead of accessing a standard db you could write a file on a server and then treat it as a small db.

If this is possible I would require it for running a small content managed part of a site, so security is not really an issue.

The reason i wanted to know, before i make myself sound completely brainless is that, on my hosting package I only have two databases, and i dont really want to upgrade my package.

derrrp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CSV files maybe?
    No, I REALLY dislike having to use Joomla.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry but security is always an issue, especially if it isn't you that owns the server.

Databases offer quite a few advantages over flat files and security is only one of them. A database is set up to manage multiple updates and inserts of data by locking records when they are being accessed. Random access of data is easier. Storing data in a flat file may require a complex system to handle data fragmentation, in the same way your computer's operating system, must have a way to find and deal with data that is in fragments on your hard drive. When you are using a database to retrieve data, you are not tying up memory and processing in PHP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gap_tooth_clan View Post
    Ok this probably is a bit of a noobish question.

I was wondering if instead of accessing a standard db you could write a file on a server and then treat it as a small db.

If this is possible I would require it for running a small content managed part of a site, so security is not really an issue.

The reason i wanted to know, before i make myself sound completely brainless is that, on my hosting package I only have two databases, and i dont really want to upgrade my package.
    FYI, how many databases you have does not limit how many sites can run - that is a different host setting.

You can have multiple software running from the same database as long as it's within its quota. You could have 10 CMS applications running from the same database, though not recommended. So just prefix your database tables to make each software unique, ie: cms_content and you'll have no problems.