SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need URGENT help - Paypal/expired domain issue

My domain/hosting package is due to run out on the 11th, and I have a Paypal account with some funds in using an email @mydomain. I was wondering what happens to this email when my account expires. I never use the email as it somehow became a target for spam, but I do use it for logging into Paypal.

I would withdraw my funds but I have an issue whereby I can't prove who I am due to some accidently wrong details I put when registering. So I'll have to go through the stages of sending Paypal proof of identity etc... However, in the mean time I need to be sure that I can change my paypal email for this account and I need to know what will happen to my old email accounts and website - will they simply be deleted from my hosts servers along with all my old emails? This actually wouldn't bother me, it's really just the worries of being locked out of paypal or the new owners of my domain being able to read old emails or access my data.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you let the domain name expire you will lose access to your PayPal account. If someone buys the domain when it is available again they will have access to incoming emails. AFAIK you cannot change the email address on a PayPal account. You can cancel the old PayPal account (hopefully after recovering your balance) and then get a new PayPal account.
    Your webhost will cancel your website & email access after your paid period stops. If you have a significant amount in the PayPal account it would be worthwhile renewing/transfering the domain only (at a different registrar) and getting free hosting to allow you continued email access.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camino View Post
    AFAIK you cannot change the email address on a PayPal account.
    Are you sure on that? I changed the email used on my paypal account a few years back and had no problems with adding a new email, making it primary and then removing the old email.

If its still possible to do that, it would be your best shot clink. Though when doing this its impossible to send you any money using the old account name.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You can have up to 8 email addresses attached to the one Paypal account and any one of those can be made the primary address that you use to login to the account.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok well if I can use another email address would I be able to send money to another paypal account or withdraw to my bank account? If yes (and you must be sure of this otherwise I'm screwed) how do I go about adding a second email?

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Renew the domain using some other form of payment, the start going through the process of fixing your paypal acct. What is the problem?
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. Socrates

SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clink View Post
    Ok well if I can use another email address would I be able to send money to another paypal account or withdraw to my bank account? If yes (and you must be sure of this otherwise I'm screwed) how do I go about adding a second email?
    To add an extra email address:

My Account
    Add or Edit Email

and then you will by on the page that allows you to add new email addresses, change which email address is the primary one, and remove email addresses. Simply press the Add button, type in the new address and then press the Save button. A confirmation email will then be sent to that email address. Once you respond to the confirmation email you can then update that address to be the primary address for your account.
    Stephen J Chapman

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagewing View Post
    Renew the domain using some other form of payment, the start going through the process of fixing your paypal acct. What is the problem?
    Exactly what I was thinking after reading the OP's issue.

While trying to resolve your PayPal issue, clink, contact your provider and ask
    what their deletion policy is. Chances are they'll give you a grace period and
    let you renew at their current price, but ask them anyway to be sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    To add an extra email address:

My Account
    Add or Edit Email

and then you will by on the page that allows you to add new email addresses, change which email address is the primary one, and remove email addresses. Simply press the Add button, type in the new address and then press the Save button. A confirmation email will then be sent to that email address. Once you respond to the confirmation email you can then update that address to be the primary address for your account.

Thankyou. Before I respond to anyone else I really need to know if this would work fine, and my Paypal would be ok to fix without my original email address.

When my hosting expires I understand that the new owner may receive emails sent to my old addresses if they create them again (such as admin@) but this really doesn't bother me as the site wouldn't be receiving more than just spam. It would only be important past emails with personal details and payment details that I would worry about, and if I switched my primary paypal email then surely these would completely stop.

As for my paypal problem, I was very stupid when first registering as this was years ago, and it was my very first paypal account. I believe that I registered my name as my company name (or website name), and this is the part that should match my bank account. Paypal only allow for minor lexical changes in changing this name, so I'm unable to change to my name on my bank statement without a whole lot of hassle...

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When you add a new email address an email is first sent to the new address that was added with a link for you to confirm that you want to add that address. Once you confirm that then an email is sent to the primary email address advising that the email address has been added and containing instructions on what to do if it wasn't authorised. As long as the new owner of that email address does not know your Paypal password then they can't get into your account to do anything about the change even if they wanted to. Once the new address is confirmed you can then make that the primary address.
    Stephen J Chapman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok great, I'll let you know if I have any problems. Just one final question, does this mean that once I have done this I can just let my host account expire totally? Can I delete the old address from my Paypal account and will the new owner have any access to my OLD files/emails or will these definately be deleted?

Thanks.

Also I'd appreciate confirmation of this from more than one person if possible as quite a few of you before seemed to think that I had to renew my hosting to prevent from losing the money.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You can delete any email address from your Paypal account except for the primary address. Simply change which address is the primary to one that you are still using and you can then delete any of the others.

Whoever has acquired the old domain name will be able to receive any new emails sent to addresses on that domain. They will not have any access to any old emails previously sent to that domain, your Paypal account, or any hosting that you had for that domain UNLESS they receive an email containing the password information that is required to be able to login to one of those accounts. They will not even receive new emails unless either they set up an email account with exactly the same name or use a catchall email account to catch all emails for the domain.

For someone who has purchased a domain that previously belonged to someone else to be able to access that other person's Paypal account they would need to:
    1. know that there was a paypal account that used an email address on the domain
    2. know which email address on the domain to use
    3. that email address would need to be the primary email address on the paypal account
    Knowing all that they could then set up the same email account on their new hosting and then use the lost password option to get Paypal to send them an email allowing them to confirm that they own the account and to therefore be able to receive the password in order to gain access. Without the email address they would need to know your name, zip code and bank account/creditcard details in order to even find out if you still had it set to use an email address on that domain. Provided that you change the primary email address before they change the password to lock you out of your own account then there is no way they will be able to get in subsequently.

The same sort of thing applies with regard to any other accounts you might have that use email addresses on that domain. They would need to make some guesses ad actually make an effort to try to steal from you in order to gain any access at all to anything that belongs to you. As long as the email account associated with your hosting isn't on the domain that you no longer own then they will have no way of telling that the hosting account exists. If your hosting does use that email as the contact address then you may want to look at making special arrangements with the hosting provider to change it so that it doesn't send an email to the current address requiring confirmation of the change.
    Stephen J Chapman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks Stephen, looks like you just saved me about $100