User Tag List

Thread: Django anyone?

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Django anyone?

I am currently learning Django, and I think it is absolutely amazing.

Is anyone currently using Django on a live site? If so, please provide additional information on your feelings, thoughts, surprises or disappointments with Django.
    Chris Phillips

SitePoint Enthusiast arthurakay's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work for a web development company (www.imagescape.com) that has recently moved from using the Paste framework to Django. We are actually sponsoring Pycon 2008 - which is next week! (Look for me at the conference)

Django is a really cool development framework - I love how the admin screens are automatically generated. Templating is also a breeze, thanks to inheritance.

We've had some issues trying to integrate Django with our current applications, but as we move forward with each project things just keep getting easier. I would definitely recommend using Django as a development platform for web programming.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work for a web development company in Norwich UK (www.paston.co.uk (a version of our site in Django is in development but it always takes a back seat to work!)) and we (3 of us) do almost all our sites in Django. 60 so far and counting! I wholeheartedly agree with the comments of the Arthurakay.

Until recently we still did e-commerce applications in php (cre-loaded) but are now using Satchmo more (2 so far and a 3rd on the stocks).
    Satchmo is an e-commerce application of Django.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At work we're doing Python/Django development.
    I come from a PHP background for web apps, and I'm really liking both Python and Django.

Quote Originally Posted by mikekj View Post
    Until recently we still did e-commerce applications in php (cre-loaded) but are now using Satchmo more (2 so far and a 3rd on the stocks).
    Satchmo is an e-commerce application of Django.
    Interesting, I would be very interested in an comparison of Satchmo vs. a PHP solution like X-cart. Upon first look, the latter seemed more mature...
    Per
    Everything
    works on a PowerPoint slide

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would agree that Satchmo is not as mature as well established PHP carts in terms of funtionality BUT it has all the necessary parts to be functional, operate, report, histories and inform. Besides has anyone ever used every single feature of say cre-loaded in actual operation?

As Satchmo is modular (app model, view, template) and python based it has all the object inheritance which makes customising easy as well as adding custom modules(Apps). A really big plus is that just like django the templates are what you make them AND no TABLES in design, I think most people would agree that nested tables (especially ones that span into a template or include) are a nightmare at times.

So yes Satchmo may not be as mature but at the speed of development (inherent with Python/Django) it soon will be!

By the way I come from a PHP background too.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice to meet other fans here!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using Django for some time now and I absolutely love it. The ease of development, the extensibility, the community... and Python is such an awesome and fun language to use in general.
    Call me Ishmael Tom.
    Nydus Media - We Build Websites.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Django at work and for most of my recent personal projects and I love it. One of the best things about django is the documentation. My goodness, their documentation is amazing!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have just started picking up django myself, finding it very intuitive, well documented and powerful, have got python 2.5 and django running on my development vps and am also looking into google appengine, which, as you probably know, can use much of the django framework...so...there's another reason to give it a look! am currently investigating this on the appengine sdk until google gives me an appengine account to play with.