SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Which keyword is best?

I'm confused as to which of the following keywords is best when optimizing for a web design company.

I have checked on wordtracker and it shows that "web design" and "website design" seem to be the two most popular phrases.

With that being said I have optimized for "website design" thinking that this would give me both results. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work well as it can't extrapolate the "web" part out of "website"

I have noticed my competitors use the key phrase "web site design" but this just seems like poor grammar to me. What is the best option here? Should I just get more incoming links with the phrase "web design" in the anchor text? I guess that's another way of doing it.

Of all of these which would you optimize for? "Web design, or website design". I think people in industry would type "web design", but I would hazard a guess (based on quick conversations with non-techies) the people who don't know much about websites would probably type "website design"

Thoughts?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The phrases you've mentioned are competitive and with you asking these questions I imagine your site is a fledgling. For that reason I don't think you've got a chance of ranking for them.

I would think about targeting less competitive phrases, maybe introducing something local like "web site design your town".

If you're thinking about the difference between "website" and "web site" (the poor grammar bit) then this thread might help: http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=517500

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those keywords are really really competitve.

Try a long tailed search, like:

Your Hometown Web Design

So mine would be:

Idaho Falls Web Design

Good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest to narrow down the keywords to country specific or region specific like for example "UK website design", "wales web design".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try to use google adwords for your keywords. It may help...

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like others said go for a less competitive keyword first, use overture and google adwords keyword tool, to find out low search volume keywords try and get ranked for them first after you have established some web presence you could then target competitive keywords as well.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Niche keywords like your area and web design work best starting out. It is no good going after the bets keywords and being listed on page 5 you will not get many sales.

Grammar does not matter what matters is what people use as search term for sites like yours. Never worry if term sounds weird just make sure to check it in mutiple keyword tools