User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dmoz submission

SitePoint Addict silver trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does dmoz actually have any human users? Who on earth would bother to drag through its drab content? Okay, for the PR it passes and the apparent significance placed on it by search engines, a link from it is not a bad thing. But surely there are more important things for everyone to be concentrating on. One wonders whether, if people merely accorded it the respect it rightly deserves (very little in my opinion) then it might just fade into the background where it belongs (with some of the other equally irrelevant internet relics)

And before anyone cries out that I've been spurned by dmoz and therefore have some grudge against them, I've managed (quite by chance) to get two small niche sites listed.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ecctao View Post
    No no,
    I mean I submitted it 5 times in 6 month!
    About only one time a month!
    Is this will be in junk tab?
    Yes. You only are supposed to submit it once. That's it.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a neat way to remember it, for those who may find it useful. "DMOZ - Submit and Forget"

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no my website is not included in demoz

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    Here's a neat way to remember it, for those who may find it useful. "DMOZ - Submit and Forget"
    What if your website was rejected for a specific reason. However you receive NO notification of this rejection.

But, unknown to you.... you updated your website and removed the reason for your rejection and now your website would be accepted. But since you don't even know it was rejected, you never resubmit.

Meaning even though you are now in compliance to being accepted and have fresh daily content, you will never be listed in dmoz.

I find that to be a very crappy scenario. I guess, resubmitting once every two year would be beneficial for re-review if your website was rejected on the previous submission even if it does throw your website to the bottom of the queue if they never reviewed your submission.

SitePoint Addict silver trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe, for the reasons mentioned above, the power of dmoz will dissipate in the not too distant future. The only reason webmasters want to be listed in it is to enjoy some of its pagerank riches. Beyond this, it serves no useful purpose. It's just there. So the best advice to anyone out there is definitely...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    Perhaps dmoz should use this as their tagline... "DMOZ - Submit and Forget". It very accurately sums up their offer. It's a place to get PR from (if they'll give it to you) but not a whole lot else!

I'm pretty certain that sites like this will, in the not too distant future, find out that the internet has moved on and that they exist, if they exist at all, for their nostalgic value only. In five years time, people will be saying something to the effect, "can you remember five years ago when dmoz was an internet power broker and we actually bothered to think long and hard about how we could get our sites listed in it's hallowed lists?"

Things are moving fast... don't waste time thinking about dmoz.... Dmoz will be somewhat less important tomorrow, even less important the day after tomorrow, and totally irrelevant within five years!

Sayonara and goodnight dmoz (would the last person out please turn off the lights...)