User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dmoz submission

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dmoz submission

Are your website included in DMOZ? Any tips for the inclussion?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bribe them, everybody knows DMOZ is rife with corruption.

A large Welsh college I used to work for waited for about a year to get a link in the right section along with all the other Welsh colleges. I think I must have sent off 4 or 5 requests for inclusion - there's a link in another section, but it's pointing to the wrong place and nobody's been able to get it updated

And every day I see new links popping up with dubious content which really aren't significant enough to need a link in DMOZ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My website hasn't be included in DMOZ, I am not sure if they will include it.
    Last edited by stymiee; Jan 3, 2008 at 12:36.
    I am writing my life in my blog Voice Of Dingchao

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my websites is included.
    My advice is don't submit a new site. Wait until it gets some popularity and decent ranking in Google for your main keywords and then submit it.
    After that, pray that you get included and forget about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I submit my web 5 times in 6 months,
    But nothing back!
    Good quality and best price of LED Display|and T5, T8 LED Tubes

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Kingdom of Adulu.com not include in Dmoz.
    I need to be strong better before submission

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Work on submittiin site to other ones first then submit to them last so if it gets listed it will be a nice suprise.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ecctao View Post
    But nothing back!
    If you submit it more then once you basically guarantee it won't be accepted. or that it will take a very long time to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just pay a mod. It works.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ecctao View Post
    But nothing back!
    duh? Every time you resubmit, you just overwrite the previous one with the old submission date and move your site to the back of the list (if the editor sorts by date which most do). You are your own worst enemy.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How to get listed:

1. Have a site that is worthy of being listed. It has to have something (ie unique) that a site already listed does not have...otherwise whats the point of listing it? A site has to add value to the category.

2. Submit ONCE to the ONE best category (there is NEVER a need to resubmit).

3. Write a perfect guideline compliant title and description. Any hype, marketing speak or non-guideline compliant description is a sure way to get an editor to just skip over your site and look at the next one.

4. As many editors just ignore submissions and go and find sites via following links; searching in Google; etc; promote your site in such a way that an editor may stumble across it.

5. Move on; get a life; forget about it; there is nothing more you can do.

You are welcome to try and bribe (as suggested above by posters who can never produce any evidence when asked), but that is more likely to get you banned than listed.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got one of my sites into DMOZ on first submissions, one of my other sites I've submitted no less then 3 times to DMOZ. I've seen a lot of articles about the corruption over there. Just for with a ton of smaller directories, but remembers to vary you link building. Cheers.
    Daryl Quenet, Web Developer / SEO Consultant
    Web Design Canada, Link Building 101, Dr MadCow's Web Portal

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen a lot of articles about the corruption over there.
    Please provide us with a link to just one of them that has any evidence. I have asked this in several different threads here recently and notice that of those making the claims, not one has come back with the evidence.
    I've submitted no less then 3 times to DMOZ.
    Why did you do that for? Each time you resubmitted, you just overwrite the previous submission with the new date and put yourself at a disadvantage.

I am still waiting for a reply in this thread:
    http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521470 where I said this:
    Could you please provide ONE piece of evidence to support your claim.

I see a lot of people making that claim, but never seen anyone back it up.
    There is that corrupt DMOZ editor blog, but even that has now been exposed as a spoof.

I also note Matt Cutts responded to a comment on his blog with essentrially the same thing - he had not seen anyone produce the evidence.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cbp, any chance you can provide me with a link to that blog entry by Matt? I'm not saying I disagree with you (or anything), it's just that you piqued my curiosity is all.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re:

Dmoz submission is depend on Dmoz guidelines. If the site follows the pre-defined guidelines then there is more chance in Dmoz.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    cbp, any chance you can provide me with a link to that blog entry by Matt? I'm not saying I disagree with you (or anything), it's just that you piqued my curiosity is all.
    I just spent 5 minutes looking for it and could not find it. Will try again later. It was a reply to a post on his blog where Matt said it --- searching for it is difficult as DMOZ gets mentioned a few thousand times in replies, so it may take a while.

The funny thing is I did find a pst there about someone claiming a DMOZ editor wanted $300 to list his site and he could produce the evidence - there was a lot of vitriole spat at DMOZ over that .... turned out that the email he got was not even from a DMOZ editor, but from someone who was running a DMOZ clone and was running a scam ....don't figure!

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Each of the different topics within DMOZ has a different editor responsible for maintaining it (or in some cases no editor at all in which case the best way to get listed under that topic would be to apply to be its editor). With the hundreds of different volunteer editors who look after all the different topics there are going to be vast differences between them as to how long it takes for them to list your site (some may only process requests every few months when they have a group of them that they can do all at once). Also with having so many volunteer editors it is just about inevitable that a minority of them will be corrupt and not do the job the way they are supposed to be doing it.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbp View Post
    I just spent 5 minutes looking for it and could not find it. Will try again later. It was a reply to a post on his blog where Matt said it --- searching for it is difficult as DMOZ gets mentioned a few thousand times in replies, so it may take a while.

The funny thing is I did find a pst there about someone claiming a DMOZ editor wanted $300 to list his site and he could produce the evidence - there was a lot of vitriole spat at DMOZ over that .... turned out that the email he got was not even from a DMOZ editor, but from someone who was running a DMOZ clone and was running a scam ....don't figure!
    Take your time. Searching his blog for something in particular can be like pulling hen's teeth at times.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had one site that was accepted into dmoz like 2 days after I submitted it, got lucky with that one I guess, heh. Haven't had any luck with my other sites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've submitted my websites to DMOZ but until now Im not sure if they were included.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have any of my websites listed on DMOZ, and I don't care much to ever get them listed. Sure, a DMOZ listing is another link in a great directory, but that's about it.
    Visit Creative Something, my creativity blog.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbp View Post
    duh? Every time you resubmit, you just overwrite the previous one with the old submission date and move your site to the back of the list (if the editor sorts by date which most do). You are your own worst enemy.
    Do they tell you whether or not they declined your submission? I submitted one of my websites over a year and a half ago, but still haven't heard any reply.

If I resubmit am I destined to wait a few more years before getting any feedback?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4SeeN View Post
    Do they tell you whether or not they declined your submission? I submitted one of my websites over a year and a half ago, but still haven't heard any reply.

If I resubmit am I destined to wait a few more years before getting any feedback?
    I've always been curious as to why the "moderation process" takes so long and has so little feedback.

Does anybody have any insight into this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No no,
    I mean I submitted it 5 times in 6 month!
    About only one time a month!
    Is this will be in junk tab?
    Good quality and best price of LED Display|and T5, T8 LED Tubes

SitePoint Enthusiast Mike Newton's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never had any of my sites listed or received any replies to my submissions. It certainly hasn't slowed down my progress though and if they get listed that's fine, if they don't, then that's OK.