SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    The WWW's Largest Thread!

    Let's start the world's largest forum thread. Reply with anything even just a simple "Bump" but let's see if we can create the World Wide Web's Largest Ongoing Thread.
    http://www.hedol.com - Human Edited Directory of Links
    http://forum.hedol.com - Public Forums with reciprocal

  2. #2
    SitePoint Wizard HarryR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,376
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... my spam meter is ticking into the red here!

  3. #3
    I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Tanzania
    Posts
    4,662
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why don't you just join this one?

  4. #4
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't realize there was already one For once I thought I was actually coming up with something semi-original ... And no your "Spam" meter shouldn't be going into the red, this is a general forum and I got the inspiration from "The Person Above You" Thread http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217743 ; I love how folks like to discuss spam or "Signature Plugs" when by commenting about it they are including their own signature to plug their own site... My 2c's
    http://www.hedol.com - Human Edited Directory of Links
    http://forum.hedol.com - Public Forums with reciprocal

  5. #5
    SitePoint Wizard HarryR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,376
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaeldaven View Post
    I love how folks like to discuss spam or "Signature Plugs" when by commenting about it they are including their own signature to plug their own site... My 2c's
    The site in my sig is a non-commercial organisation, of which I have little vested interest in other than they play good music.

    If I had Cancer Research UK in my signature instead of a radio station, would it make any difference?

  6. #6
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Red face

    My point is I wasn't trying to spam, I was just trying to goof off in the general forum, it really does irk me when people just make assumptions about other folks without any regards to feelings or considering any other possibilities. As far as advertising or spam goes, I posted an ad in the correct forum and with the exception of this thread I really haven't talked much else on this site other than just lurking.

    I guess all I'm saying is believe it or not it kinda bothers me that the first time I start a new thread (other than my own advertising post in the proper channel) I immediately got accused of spamming... So it makes me leery of posting any further threads out of fear that I will also be accused of "spamming". I know this thread may seem a little like ranting and yelling but do you kinda see what I'm saying? There ARE real people on the other side of the computer screen and I just think that sometimes we need to take a step back and remember this.

    Eric Reynolds
    http://www.hedol.com - Human Edited Directory of Links
    http://forum.hedol.com - Public Forums with reciprocal

  7. #7
    .* draziW tnioPetiS *. bronze trophy
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    "Then I figure the most good good guy will win."
    Posts
    1,666
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bump.

  8. #8
    ✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,284
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaeldaven View Post
    My point is I wasn't trying to spam, I was just trying to goof off in the general forum, it really does irk me when people just make assumptions about other folks without any regards to feelings or considering any other possibilities. As far as advertising or spam goes, I posted an ad in the correct forum and with the exception of this thread I really haven't talked much else on this site other than just lurking.

    I guess all I'm saying is believe it or not it kinda bothers me that the first time I start a new thread (other than my own advertising post in the proper channel) I immediately got accused of spamming... So it makes me leery of posting any further threads out of fear that I will also be accused of "spamming". I know this thread may seem a little like ranting and yelling but do you kinda see what I'm saying? There ARE real people on the other side of the computer screen and I just think that sometimes we need to take a step back and remember this.

    Eric Reynolds
    It's always like that, people make assumptions and fall for stereotypes. We just see too many of threads/posts that are made purposely to spam. That's why I never use signatures on any forums until I get a decent post count (if at all). It is a great turn off to be accused of something you didn't even remotely try to do, I'm sorry it's happened to you. Just ignore this, people will see what is what in the end.
    Saul

  9. #9
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by php_daemon View Post
    It's always like that, people make assumptions and fall for stereotypes. We just see too many of threads/posts that are made purposely to spam. That's why I never use signatures on any forums until I get a decent post count (if at all). It is a great turn off to be accused of something you didn't even remotely try to do, I'm sorry it's happened to you. Just ignore this, people will see what is what in the end.
    I agree Daemon and the thing is, it's assumptions like that breed trolls and lurkers. I know, I'm usually a troll but every now and then I like to step out of the shadows and post a topic or two. Thanks for the input. Well since this thread didn't go how I intended, I am done with it, I was just wanting something fun to do and it ended up turning into a whine fest...
    http://www.hedol.com - Human Edited Directory of Links
    http://forum.hedol.com - Public Forums with reciprocal

  10. #10
    ✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,284
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaeldaven View Post
    I agree Daemon and the thing is, it's assumptions like that breed trolls and lurkers. I know, I'm usually a troll but every now and then I like to step out of the shadows and post a topic or two. Thanks for the input. Well since this thread didn't go how I intended, I am done with it, I was just wanting something fun to do and it ended up turning into a whine fest...
    Hey, but but the posts are at least coming! Isn't that the purpose of the thread?
    Saul

  11. #11
    I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Tanzania
    Posts
    4,662
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like cheese.

  12. #12
    Function Curry'er JimmyP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Brighton, UK
    Posts
    2,006
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    marmite

  13. #13
    I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Tanzania
    Posts
    4,662
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A controversial subject.

  14. #14
    Function Curry'er JimmyP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Brighton, UK
    Posts
    2,006
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    indeed

  15. #15
    I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Florida USA
    Posts
    5,774
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that you can not set out to get a thread this long just because you want to. The posters must get something out of the posting, fun, a running theme…

    You can tell when a thread fizzles, even a bump will not help it, it has run its course.

    So it will be with this one, there is not much of an impetus… As mentioned above, we have some threads here that keep going (and many roll their eyes about those), but they might also stop at some point when some other thing comes along or the regular posters move on.
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

  16. #16
    whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,780
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Datura, I would look at the link Raffles posted Tell me what anyone got out of that In essence though, I know what you mean in that threads themselves, unless obviously contrived like the one Raffles posted, have a life span of their own.

  17. #17
    I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Florida USA
    Posts
    5,774
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armchaircritic View Post
    Datura, I would look at the link Raffles posted Tell me what anyone got out of that In essence though, I know what you mean in that threads themselves, unless obviously contrived like the one Raffles posted, have a life span of their own.
    Yes I know, that is what I referred to. What you get out of that one is the talk that goes along with it, the ot stuff. The thread itself is like a shell game
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

  18. #18
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.
    http://www.hedol.com - Human Edited Directory of Links
    http://forum.hedol.com - Public Forums with reciprocal

  19. #19
    SitePoint Evangelist tokyoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    421
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bump

  20. #20
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry NashTax, did you say Bump?
    http://www.hedol.com - Human Edited Directory of Links
    http://forum.hedol.com - Public Forums with reciprocal

  21. #21
    dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    spikeZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    13,807
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    things that go bump in the night.....
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

  22. #22
    <code></code><WoW></WoW> nukeemusn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    329
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Religion, Politics, and other 4-letter words.
    My Blog
    The Obsidian Order - WoW Guild on US-Nagrand
    nukeemusn = Nuclear Electricians Mate US Navy


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •