SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

<code></code><WoW></WoW> nukeemusn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nVidia Video card breakdown

I see (and used to have) a lot of confusion about which nVida cards are better than others. Their curent 4-digit numbering system seems confusing sometimes. Here's how the numnbers break down, just FYI:

For instance, GeForce 6800

Ok, the first digit is simply the series number. With regards to the 5 and 6 series, they're the older cards. The 7 and 8 series are the newer ones, the main difference being that the 8 series supports DirectX 10 for Vista.

The last thre digits ae where people get confused. You'd think that an 8400 would be better than a 6600 at first glance, as I did. You'd be wrong. The last three digits tell what the quality or range of the card is.

000-450, Low End.
    500-750, Midrange.
    800-950, High End.

I found this out when I uninformidley (is that a word?) replaced my 2x GeForce 6600 SLI with a single 8400, thinking it would rock. I was wrong.

As for the amount of Video RAM, more is better, when comparing the same model of card. A 5200 with 256MB is NOT better than a 6600 with 128MB.

I'll try to dig up some ATI info and post it later, but it might not happen, ans I'm kind of an nVidia guy (I like green more than red).

If I do that, then I'll probbaly follow with some kind of nVidia /ATI comparison, not for competative purposes, but to see which cards are in the same class between the two manufacturers.

Hope this helps!
    My Blog
    The Obsidian Order - WoW Guild on US-Nagrand
    nukeemusn = Nuclear Electricians Mate US Navy

From space with love silver trophy
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some graphics cards (very expensive ones) have over 700MB of memory onboard.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I realise you got your figures from Wikipedia, but at least for recent cards I would call anything below a 600 a low end:

1xx-2xx : very low end, ie embedded
    3xx-5xx : low end or 'mainstream'
    6xx : midrange
    8xx : high end
    9xx : high end, second gen?

The last two digits are almost always 00, and if they're not it usually indicates the card has been revised somehow, sometimes to correct some sort of problem or to increase the spec a bit without changing much. This may or may not give a slight performance increase.

You can also get a clue from the suffix:

Ultra : highest performance, highest price, for high end only
    GTX : very high performance, for high end only
    GTS : good performance
    GT : normal performance
    GS : decent performance but cheaper than GT

The number takes precedence over the suffix. For example a 8800GT is better than an 8600GTS. The presense of an odd number as a second digit, or a number not ending in 00, often indicates a revision or next generation, which may be slightly higher performance and is probably much cheaper.

There are rare occurrences when a card outperforms another which is supposedly better according to its model number, for example the 8800GTS 512 (not to be confused with the regular 8800GTS) kind of departs from the scheme and also outperforms the 8800GTX.

Each new series of geforce cards improves upon the performance of the previous. So an 8600GT (midrange in 8th series) is close to the performance of a 7900GS (very high end in 7th series). It is difficult to compare the exact difference between series because of the vastly different architectures.

If you want to do an nvidia and ATI comparison you can look at these links
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/132
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/131
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_8_Series
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...ocessing_Units
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is great reference info. Thanks all.

<code></code><WoW></WoW> nukeemusn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mmj View Post
    I realise you got your figures from Wikipedia, but at least for recent cards I would call anything below a 600 a low end:

1xx-2xx : very low end, ie embedded
    3xx-5xx : low end or 'mainstream'
    6xx : midrange
    8xx : high end
    9xx : high end, second gen?

The last two digits are almost always 00, ...
    You know what's really annoying? I had the same basic breakdown of numbers you do all typed out (except I grouped 1xx-5xx together), and I second guessed myself. So I went to the big W and "corrected" my own flawed knowledge. Jsut goes to show sometimes you jsut gotta be confident in what you think you know

Thanks for the upgrade
    My Blog
    The Obsidian Order - WoW Guild on US-Nagrand
    nukeemusn = Nuclear Electricians Mate US Navy