SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Allowing Anonymous Comments

As part of my fighting spam I require someone to sign up to comment on my blog. It doesn't seem to be deterring anyone, but at least I have some more information on the person (presumably) who is spamming me. Do you allow anonymous commenting?
    Homeward Bound Puppy now with a store!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do. I don't get much spam, yet, though.. so my mind might change in the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're using Wordpress, just use Akismet. You can allow anonymous comments and Akismet will still deal with almost all spam for you.
    David Risley
    Web Developer, Web Publisher, Blogger, Tech Dude
    PC Mechanic | WebbyOnline

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Also, in Word Press, you don't need to have people "sign up" to comment. Although it does ask for a user name and e-mail, it isn't like joining where they have to come back and confirm their e-mail address to comment. You can moderate comments from first-time posters and any time they post a second time, if that post is spam, you can put them permanently in your Akismet spam box.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

SitePoint Member kissedbymysweety's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just allow anonymous, and moderate them. There are many plugins available to help fight against spam comments, take a look around and try some.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New commenters (based on email address), and anyone who posts a link should be moderated. I also second using Akismet for your bulk moderation as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like the idea of Anonymous comments as I think someone should be willing to take credit/blame for what they say. Its nt like they have to give you real information, lol.

I was having issues with the one-click install but I just managed to get Akismet loaded. I had some friends post some comments for me and it annoyed them to be moderated as they weren't sure the comments went through. Happy to say Akismet has caught everything not from them about helping my libido and buying puppymill puppies

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer allowing them - if you want to encourage participation, then you should remove as many barriers as possible. You should moderate them though! But I'm much less likely to comment on a blog if I have to create a membership, I've already got plenty of memberships at websites to keep track of!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree Akismet is the way to go. I don't get much non-spammy comments on my blog anyway, however... i have had several thousand blocked by Akismet.

I think making users register, to post a comment will undoubtedly make them think twice about posting a comment. I don't think i would register just to post one comment on joe-blogs' site.

I think having users comment on your blog is very rewarding and satisfying, I wouldn't try to intentionaly provent them from doing that.
    andy.kerr
    S i t e: P o i n t
    Sites: { Blog | 1 2 3 4 5 }

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest to use Spam Karma 2.3 along with Akismet it effectively stop automated Blog spam comments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spam Karma huh?

I'd really love to leave everything unmoderated, etc but I get so many spam comments for the traffic my blog gets its not even funny. I mean I have no readers, but I have spammers anyway. Thanks for the input guys.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also believe that moderation is the key.