SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More Than One Blog As Easy As One Blog?

I've been thinking of starting another blog to give me some more diversity in what I can do for monetization as my niche is pretty narrow right now, but I don't have alot of time. Is it really that much more effort to have two blogs as it is for one? Or do you end up feeling like you're doing the same thing twice all the time, just with a different topic?
    Homeward Bound Puppy now with a store!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the niche is narrow I think it is better to stick with one rather than start same topic with new blog. However if you want to start different topics it would be better if you choose a topic that is relevant to your existing blog with little diversification like for example if you've a music blog you can go for movie blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would consider the time it takes to do a second blog versus the income you expect to make from doing it. Is the money or the time more important? Which has more value to you personally?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An excellent blog is better than 2. 2 means more effort divided, 1 means putting all the work into 1 project.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not going to use "expected" figures as I have no idea what the second would be about , and not much would closely relate to my blog now, which is about my dog. Its rather personal and therefor extremely narrow in its niche which seems to be making it hard to properly get clear from every other blog about someone's dog. At least until he starts search and rescue and then it might stand out a bit, but thats a year or so away. But its my first and actually a present for my husband, monetizing it is an experiment in learning. I have the time, especially since so many things can be done in short fits. But I'm feeling stifled by the narrowness and limited possibilities.
    Homeward Bound Puppy now with a store!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It all depends on how much dedication you're willing to pour in for each blog. You can even run 10 blogs at the same time if you're a full-time blogger. Time management is the key.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wordpress MU

Wordpress has something called Wordpress MU

Multi User

You can use it to run more than one blog from a single console

Here is the link

http://mu.wordpress.org/

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To have more than one blog/site is great in the meaning of diversity and you got inspired more often due to working in different niches. anyway, it takes all your time and for me the biggest concern is content

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the first site is so narrow and can not be made to earn money start a new one and work on that one. Post to the old one when you have time but work on the new one that has larger market.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Search and rescue dogs? There you go. Don't monetize the first one (keep it as a personal project), but focus on the second one - and I do mean seriously. If you want to go with the search and rescue dog angle, you'll also want to provide a lot of information about which breeds work best, how they're selected, the training and commitments that go into them, what ops they tend to go on, and so forth. Using your dog as an example could also give the blog a personal touch as well (tugging on the heart strings if you will).

SitePoint Enthusiast MarketLeverage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The difficult part of having more than one blog is to be able to come up with content for them. You should probably try different niche blogs to find out which ones will monetize best. If you like to write or you are good at writing, it won't be difficult.

If you begin to earn a good income from your blog, you could always pay someone to write your post.

You can also invite "guest posters" to write your content.

If your main objective is to earn money from the blog, you will have to test different niches. Trial and error.
    MLTV - MarketLeverage's Online Affiliate Marketing Show
    GreenLinks - Watch GreenLinks- Affiliate Tutorial Videos!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I two blogs and I am thinking to start third. I don't post to much at start but later I will decide which one will be the right one. Different blogs are chance to feel a pulse of specific niche.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blogging can get monotonous. Unless you have all the time in the world, I would think that two at a time is enough.