User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SEO for multi language website

Hi guys,
    I'm soon to be working on the SEO elements of a multi language website which is available in English, Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, German, Dutch, Spanish, Portuguese, French and Italian.

A user on the site can choose which language they wish to see in the site in by selecting their language from a drop down and then clicking on submit.

Once the user does this, the page changes to the selected language and the meta information for language changes in the header. The below meta language is for Dutch. I.E. <meta name="language" content="de" />

I doubt this is enough in order for the site to appear in Dutch in google.de.

What other steps can be undertaken?

We will probably be using IP Delivery to target search bots as our site is heavily dependent on JS.

Thanks,
    C

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The fact that you are using a form to choose the language makes your site inaccessible to search engines. The fact that you are using lot of javascript to deliver content means even if they could get past the first page they wouldn't be able to access and index your content. I suggest you reconsider the framework of your website if you wish to just be in the search engines much less even hope to rank well for anything.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    Thanks for your reply. Because of the heavy JS dependency I have suggested IP Delivery to resolve this issue. But I'm a bit stuck on the delivery of foreign language content to bots.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A Blue Flame View Post
    Hi,
    Thanks for your reply. Because of the heavy JS dependency I have suggested IP Delivery to resolve this issue. But I'm a bit stuck on the delivery of foreign language content to bots.
    I'm not sure how IP delivery is going to help so if you explain that I'd like to hear it. Always looking to learn.

As for the for the foreign language it isn't a big deal. It's all just content. Just make sure it is accessible to the search engines and they'll index it normally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to optimize each site for specific country search engine, that require lot of research of keywords/search pattern of specific country and in addition your site should be developed with specific culture & demography of the countriy to appeal the visitors, my point, just changing the language is not going to help you.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A Blue Flame View Post
    The below meta language is for Dutch. I.E. <meta name="language" content="de" />

I doubt this is enough in order for the site to appear in Dutch in google.de.
    Also make sure that you get the languages right...
    The TLD for Dutch is .nl
    The TLD for German is .de

As already mentioned, good contents in each language is really important. Other sites will then also be more willing to link to you. Also try to get backlinks from related sites.