SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any advertising tips for a web developer ?

I started my web development business a couple of months ago - and have several mid size sites on the go. This is good - and I'm greatfull.

I found I needed to use Joomla templates - an open source Content Management System as the foundation for the sites - as it helped me to create solid sites that enabled the client to access/edit the content involved.

The clients concerned have been slow to provide the info for the content - so it's still going to take still several weeks for me to complete the v1.0 of their sites.
    I will soon run out of repeat/referred work - temporarily at least.

As this is a serious business requiring $1-2k per week income - not a hobby -
    my question is do I advertise to businesses with CMS style needs (i.e. a reasonable amount of information to provide to their users) ? - and if so what industries have other developers found to be particularly relevant.

Or do I advertise generally - and go for the 'lucky dip' of different size jobs?

Generally speaking - what are the actual experiences of developers out there in this regard?
    I would appreciate any feedback - as this is my business life or death at stake.
    Thanks - and all the best for 2008 thrill-seekers !

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey there and welcome to sitepoint.

To answer some of your marketing questions here, I'd start by reading some of Andrew Neitlichs articles and in particular, his "How to Market your business on a shoestring"

HTH,

Steve

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you could join freelance websites and advertise your services there.
    You could also design free templates for popular scripts and distribute them with a link to your site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest to get connected with any large organization those having overloading projects, it will help you to get the job easily, also you should register with few freelancing sites and try out to get projects.

SitePoint Enthusiast Eric Engel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you already have been working with clients (and making money), I would stay away from those cheapie freelance sites...it does little more than tarnish your name.

Here's a quick publicity stunt that could give you a butt-load of fresh leads.

Hold an 'ugly site' contest. Send press releases to local and national papers. Send press releases to radio stations. Send out an electronic press release. Get all the publicity you can for it.

"the winning site gets a free make-over"

In order for people to enter their sites, make them cough up a name and number of whoever is in charge of the site.

You can mix and match ideas here, but your focus should be on getting quality leads out of the contest, and following up with those leads on the phone. If you don't think you're a good enough salesperson to land any jobs by calling them, then hire someone or trade off with them:

x number of hours working on their website in exchange for x number of hours on the phone calling your leads.

Hope this helps...

erice