SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Sitemaps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Sitemaps

What are sitemaps ive got mine uploaded on google webtools but whats it for and what now im really confused on this one??
    FREE Internet Marketing Tips
    Bowling Tips and Techniques a Must for Bowlers!

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willard46 View Post
    What are sitemaps ive got mine uploaded on google webtools but whats it for and what now im really confused on this one??
    They just help them find your site's pages if you use an inaccessible navigation structure like javascript or flash. They serve no other purpose and don't affect your rankings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willard46 View Post
    I find sitemaps very useful for sites which don't have very good page heirarchy meaning some pages are not linked to others and Google will otherwise miss out them. By uploading a site map, my indexed pages for a website increased from 2,700 to 4,200 so it does help for sure.

Also when you update your sitemap, it serves as a ping to Google to come and re-index your pages.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ozogle View Post
    Also when you update your sitemap, it serves as a ping to Google to come and re-index your pages.
    Keep in mind that they won't come around any sooner then they normally would. It is merely a recommendation/invitation to come back.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sitemaps are an easy way for webmasters to inform search engines about pages on their sites that are available for crawling. In its simplest form, a Sitemap is an XML file that lists URLs for a site along with additional metadata about each URL (when it was last updated, how often it usually changes, and how important it is, relative to other URLs in the site) so that search engines can more intelligently crawl the site.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sitemaps does helps search engines schedule and index your inner pages quicker, especially if you have a big site.
    Over 100 Free Wordpress Themes for download
    Get your website a free hosting account
    Dotservant.com professional website hosting since 2000

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    Keep in mind that they won't come around any sooner then they normally would. It is merely a recommendation/invitation to come back.
    From my experience in life, I have found that ones who are invited turn up more often than others.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ozogle View Post
    From my experience in life, I have found that ones who are invited turn up more often than others.
    In general this isn't the case. Otherwise everyone would tell them to come every day.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have also just started using SiteMaps on google...its pretty cool, it definitely helps when you are in the process of organizing your site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a big site keep your sitemaps under 100 links. and then have the 100 links randomly pulled from a db or txt file. That way they will all get linked faster. Because the spiders dont go and crawl the sameones everytime they go to your page.

Its called a rolling sitemap.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waraas View Post
    If you have a big site keep your sitemaps under 100 links. and then have the 100 links randomly pulled from a db or txt file. That way they will all get linked faster. Because the spiders dont go and crawl the sameones everytime they go to your page.

Its called a rolling sitemap.
    How does that accomplish anything? Why not submit every page on your site every time so they can find every page every time? Giving them a small sample accomplished nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Submit? Im talking about on the website itself...

How it works is that instead of google going and crawling your sitemap and only going down 50 or something links everytime before they leave because of the big sitemap. Google will go to your site and get new links to crawl every time it goes to the sitemap. Thus indexing more pages.

If you have a big site, than your content with the lowest id will be displayed first on the sitemap, those are more likely to get crawled first.. so why waste a perfectly good sitemap on the same links over and over again?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waraas View Post
    Submit? Im talking about on the website itself...

How it works is that instead of google going and crawling your sitemap and only going down 50 or something links everytime before they leave because of the big sitemap. Google will go to your site and get new links to crawl every time it goes to the sitemap. Thus indexing more pages.

If you have a big site, than your content with the lowest id will be displayed first on the sitemap, those are more likely to get crawled first.. so why waste a perfectly good sitemap on the same links over and over again?
    You're talking about an HTML sitemap. They were talking about an XML sitemap. Either way you never want to limit the number of links on a sitemap. That will screw up human visitors which the sitemaps are for. If you have a lot of links in your sitemap then make your sitemap multiple pages. It's better for the search engines and for human beings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok should i Map my server or the website i have more than one website

im still alittle confused on this geting better though
    FREE Internet Marketing Tips
    Bowling Tips and Techniques a Must for Bowlers!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Each website needs its own XML sitemap.