SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Anchor text

  1. #1
    SitePoint Zealot willard46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    120
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Question Anchor text

    Im trying to find the best way to use anchor text with protocol and affectivelly to help my ranking in search

    can anyone tell me how the hole thing works?
    FREE Internet Marketing Tips
    Bowling Tips and Techniques a Must for Bowlers!

  2. #2
    In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, Illinois
    Posts
    15,476
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ranking for what?

  3. #3
    He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Slave I
    Posts
    23,424
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willard46 View Post
    Im trying to find the best way to use anchor text with protocol and affectivelly to help my ranking in search

    can anyone tell me how the hole thing works?
    1) Make sure you internal links use anchor text you want to rank for

    2) Do your best to influence incoming links from other sites to use anchor text you want to rank well for

  4. #4
    SitePoint Zealot willard46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    120
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so is there any other ways to help in my ranking in search that u all here can help us all with??
    FREE Internet Marketing Tips
    Bowling Tips and Techniques a Must for Bowlers!

  5. #5
    He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Slave I
    Posts
    23,424
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willard46 View Post
    so is there any other ways to help in my ranking in search that u all here can help us all with??
    From the Search Engine Optimization FAQ:

    What would be a good SEO strategy?

    Before you write one line of code:
    • Do keyword research to determine what keywords you want to target.
    While constructing your website you should do the following:
    • Use markup to indicate the content of your site
      • Optimize your <title> tags on each page to contain 1 - 3 keywords
      • Create unique Meta Tags for each page
      • Use header tags appropriately (H1 > H2 > H3)
      • Use <b> and <i> tags if appropriate
    • Optimize your URLs
    • Optimize your content
      • Use keywords liberally yet appropriately throughout each page
      • Have unique content
      • Have quality content
    • Use search engine friendly design
      • Create a human sitemap
      • Do not use inaccessible site navigation (JavaScript or Flash menus)
      • Minimize outbound links
      • Kept your pages under 100K in size
    • Design the navigational structure of the site to channel PR to main pages (especially the homepage)
    • Create a page that encourages webmasters to link to your site
      • Provide them the relevant HTML to create their link to you (make sure the anchor text contains keywords)
      • Provide them with any images you may want them to use (although text links are better)
    • Make sure your website is complete before launching it
    Immediately after launching your site you should do the following:
    • Create Webmaster Accounts
    • Submit your site to all major search engines
    • Create an XML sitemap
    • Submit your site to all free directories
    • Submit your site to relevant directories
    • Begin a link building campaign (attempting to get keywords in the link anchor text)
      • Put a link to your website in your forum signatures (hint hint)
      • Reply to relevant blog posts (Don't spam please)
    If you will pay to promote your website:
    Finally, as part of an ongoing strategy:
    • Continually update your website with quality, unique content
    • Continually seek free links preferably from sites in your genre
    Do NOT do the following:
    • Make an all Flash website (without an HTML alternative)
    • Use JavaScript or Flash for navigation
    • Spam other websites for incoming links
    • Launch your site before it is done
    • Use duplicate content
      • Do not point several domains to one site without using a 301 redirect
      • Do not make a site of duplicated content from other websites
    • Use markup inappropriately
      • Style <H>eader tags to look like regular text
      • Hide content using 'display: hidden' (for the sake of hiding text)
    • Use other "black hat" techniques (unless you accept the risk - Banning)
      • Doorway/Landing pages
      • Cloaking
      • Hidden text
    Additional Tips:
    • Usable and accessible sites tend to be search engine friendly by their very nature
    • Be patient! High rankings don't happen overnight
    • Don't obsess with any one search engine. They are all worth your attention.

  6. #6
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Variation in anchor text is necessary for incoming links otherwise they look like artificial linking.

  7. #7
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nitharifacts View Post
    Variation in anchor text is necessary for incoming links otherwise they look like artificial linking.
    I definitely agree, since varying anchor texts for keywords will make it natural way of building links....If you use one and only anchor text for your targeted keywords. It is unnatural way of building links... Maybe you can use long-tail keywords for that to add more phrase on your anchor texts...

  8. #8
    He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Slave I
    Posts
    23,424
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nitharifacts View Post
    Variation in anchor text is necessary for incoming links otherwise they look like artificial linking.
    Quote Originally Posted by cooluks View Post
    I definitely agree, since varying anchor texts for keywords will make it natural way of building links....If you use one and only anchor text for your targeted keywords. It is unnatural way of building links... Maybe you can use long-tail keywords for that to add more phrase on your anchor texts...
    Not true. Having identical anchor text in links is natural.

  9. #9
    SitePoint Zealot jvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    From the Search Engine Optimization FAQ:

    What would be a good SEO strategy?

    Before you write one line of code:
    • Do keyword research to determine what keywords you want to target.
    While constructing your website you should do the following:
    • Use markup to indicate the content of your site
      • Optimize your <title> tags on each page to contain 1 - 3 keywords
      • Create unique Meta Tags for each page
      • Use header tags appropriately (H1 > H2 > H3)
      • Use <b> and <i> tags if appropriate
    • Optimize your URLs
    • Optimize your content
      • Use keywords liberally yet appropriately throughout each page
      • Have unique content
      • Have quality content
    • Use search engine friendly design
      • Create a human sitemap
      • Do not use inaccessible site navigation (JavaScript or Flash menus)
      • Minimize outbound links
      • Kept your pages under 100K in size
    • Design the navigational structure of the site to channel PR to main pages (especially the homepage)
    • Create a page that encourages webmasters to link to your site
      • Provide them the relevant HTML to create their link to you (make sure the anchor text contains keywords)
      • Provide them with any images you may want them to use (although text links are better)
    • Make sure your website is complete before launching it
    Immediately after launching your site you should do the following:
    • Create Webmaster Accounts
    • Submit your site to all major search engines
    • Create an XML sitemap
    • Submit your site to all free directories
    • Submit your site to relevant directories
    • Begin a link building campaign (attempting to get keywords in the link anchor text)
      • Put a link to your website in your forum signatures (hint hint)
      • Reply to relevant blog posts (Don't spam please)
    If you will pay to promote your website:
    Finally, as part of an ongoing strategy:
    • Continually update your website with quality, unique content
    • Continually seek free links preferably from sites in your genre
    Do NOT do the following:
    • Make an all Flash website (without an HTML alternative)
    • Use JavaScript or Flash for navigation
    • Spam other websites for incoming links
    • Launch your site before it is done
    • Use duplicate content
      • Do not point several domains to one site without using a 301 redirect
      • Do not make a site of duplicated content from other websites
    • Use markup inappropriately
      • Style <H>eader tags to look like regular text
      • Hide content using 'display: hidden' (for the sake of hiding text)
    • Use other "black hat" techniques (unless you accept the risk - Banning)
      • Doorway/Landing pages
      • Cloaking
      • Hidden text
    Additional Tips:
    • Usable and accessible sites tend to be search engine friendly by their very nature
    • Be patient! High rankings don't happen overnight
    • Don't obsess with any one search engine. They are all worth your attention.
    Nice strategy...very helpful

  10. #10
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    357
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    Not true. Having identical anchor text in links is natural.
    to what extent is it natural? What if, say, you have 1,000 inbound links from unique sites/ip addresses, and all of those with the same anchor text?

  11. #11
    SitePoint Wizard
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,208
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stymiee answered it all. Just follow the tips and you will do well.

  12. #12
    O Rly?? JakeJeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    571
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_vhoi_ol View Post
    to what extent is it natural? What if, say, you have 1,000 inbound links from unique sites/ip addresses, and all of those with the same anchor text?
    It's only natural when they're using the URL rather than custom anchor text. If we asked everyone in this thread to link to this thread using custom anchor text there would probably be many different variations "A thread on anchor text", "How to write anchor text", "Tips on achor text", "A sitepoint thread about anchor text", etc.

  13. #13
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    4,301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with what Jake says. I'd also add that there will be some pages that are more likely to have consistent anchor text than varying e.g. like the "click here" adobe download page or maybe the home page of a "free downloads" site. For that reason I don't think you can detect "unnatural linking" just from the way that anchor text varies (or doesn't).

  14. #14
    SitePoint Enthusiast jhnrang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are talking about ranking on Google-
    The parametres have changed rapidly over the last few months as a direct fall-out of Google's fight against paid links.

    Under the circumstances - I would rather concentrate much on ON-PAGE SEO - than OFF-PAGE.
    By ON-PAGE - I am referring to page URLs with the targetted keyword/words -- page title should have the same and the page should contain unique/quality content with the keywords spread proportionately on the text.
    Thank use those keywords on your signature on highly reputed forums like SP --participate on meaningful discussions and with time those keywords will be rocking Google.

    The anchor texts on some sites might look suspect from Google's view ( just my personal foolish speculation) in view of paid links.
    Last edited by jhnrang; Jan 2, 2008 at 14:00. Reason: addition

  15. #15
    He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Slave I
    Posts
    23,424
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeJeck View Post
    It's only natural when they're using the URL rather than custom anchor text. If we asked everyone in this thread to link to this thread using custom anchor text there would probably be many different variations "A thread on anchor text", "How to write anchor text", "Tips on achor text", "A sitepoint thread about anchor text", etc.
    In the case of a thread like this, yes. But in the case of an article, let's say it is called "SEO 101", you can expect most links to contain the anchor text of "SEO 101". That makes sense and there isn't anything unnatural about it.

    Common anchor text may be a factor in detecting link farms but by itself it means absolutely nothing.

  16. #16
    SitePoint Zealot willard46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    120
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will anchor text help in my signature or is this bad?? or good practice???
    FREE Internet Marketing Tips
    Bowling Tips and Techniques a Must for Bowlers!

  17. #17
    He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Slave I
    Posts
    23,424
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willard46 View Post
    Will anchor text help in my signature or is this bad?? or good practice???
    It will help but very very little. Forum signatures tend to carry extremely little weight.

  18. #18
    In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, Illinois
    Posts
    15,476
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It can help direct targeted traffic to your site (and it is entirely within the realm of possibility that some of that targeted traffic may like your site enough to link back to it on their sites), and can help get you indexed if your site is brand spanking new (and I mean new as in like a newborn baby), but other than that, not really. It won't hurt you either.

    Edit:

    Stymiee beat me to it, but with fewer words. Oh well.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •