SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any tips to promote my new website?

Hi

I just launched a new website that allows members to post activities and manage the RSVPs. Activities that can used this website includes mass ordering, gatherings, etc. I tried Google adwords but the interests are not coming in. The couples of registrations are my invites to my friends. Even them who registered did not use the site to post their activities.

I understand it is an egg-and-chicken situation if there are no content, then there is no traffic. But the traffic is required to create the content.

Any advice to kick-start my website?

Simon
    Last edited by r937; Dec 31, 2007 at 04:39.
    www.simonth.com My portfolio website

www.logoraman.com electroskan.com's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are u talking abt the site in your sig
    LOGORAMAN
    [FB] [TWITTER] [BEHANCE] [FLICKR]

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If site is free add it to some freebie sites. This might get some more traffic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^
    LOGORAMAN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by electroskan.com View Post
    are u talking abt the site in your sig
    Yes. the URL is in my signature.

Thought I inserted one in my message.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rcj662 View Post
    If site is free add it to some freebie sites. This might get some more traffic.
    Can list some of these freebie sites you referring to?

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonth View Post
    Yes. the URL is in my signature.

Thought I inserted one in my message.
    Links to your websites are only allowed in your signature, that's why it was removed

What is your situation with the Search Engines? Have you signed up to google webmaster tools and got Analytics too?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After reading some threads here, I just added some scripts from the Google webmaster tools. So I guess it will take a few more days to see my traffic results.

My dilemma here is assuming I have created one good website which users can register for free and use for their needs but words are not reaching out. I added my site at techcrunch and if they run an article on my site, I m sure traffic will flow. But that is me dreaming.

Traffic is no.1 thing for a social-related website. So seeking any advice from sitepoint forum users on how I should continue to promote my website in view of getting traffic, getting registrations and getting my website members to use it by creating posts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ONe thing I can tell you is to keep at it...these things take time
    LOGORAMAN

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonth View Post

Traffic is no.1 thing for a social-related website. So seeking any advice from sitepoint forum users on how I should continue to promote my website in view of getting traffic, getting registrations and getting my website members to use it by creating posts.
    One thing, I find it hard to see who or what market you're targeting. If you know this then perhaps you could gear some of your promotion towards a specific area. It looks to me like your site is about events subscription management - however that's not really that clear from the site at first look. Do you know what I'm getting at?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Create the content, so they can then be interested enough to sign up.

I would go out and copy and paste such content from other sites to get your site going, and or talk about other's activities ("Hey, did you read about....?"), along with yours, and post it right there on the homepage for them to see.

It's better than nothing, and I think it is enough to get a few to start, which in turn, more and more will follow suite.

It may have nothing to do with yoursite, but, as an example, remember that girl who quit her job to do her site? Maybe you can ask her if she would like to "share" her experiences???

Maybe increase your odds in getting her to do it by asking her to to e-mail you her experiences, and then just copy and paste it in your site.

Or, maybe IM???

No offense, but those Google ads don't really add anything to your site. They are boring and all too typical these days. Perhaps you should put in more happening, creative ads? Ringtones, e-cards, IM smileys....?

If you advertise your site again, which you are going to have to if you want a lot of hits, first get others to see them. Ask them if they would click on them.

Talk about your postings in social network sites, blogs, and, yes, advertise them too.

"Local 17-year old tells why she decided to quit school to do her Website full time."

Put in a "send to a friend" form on the bottom of your home page so it is easier for your visitors to send to a friend(s).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armchaircritic View Post
    One thing, I find it hard to see who or what market you're targeting. If you know this then perhaps you could gear some of your promotion towards a specific area. It looks to me like your site is about events subscription management - however that's not really that clear from the site at first look. Do you know what I'm getting at?
    My website helps users to organize their activities e.g. mass order, gatherings by managing the RSVPs. For mass order activities, it provides a channel to find interest from other website users to participate. It is in the same website gene as Yahoo's Upcoming and ipartee.

I have some descriptions in the What's this page. How can I make it more 'obvious' about the website use?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoon32 View Post
    Create the content, so they can then be interested enough to sign up.

I would go out and copy and paste such content from other sites to get your site going, and or talk about other's activities ("Hey, did you read about....?"), along with yours, and post it right there on the homepage for them to see.

It's better than nothing, and I think it is enough to get a few to start, which in turn, more and more will follow suite.

It may have nothing to do with yoursite, but, as an example, remember that girl who quit her job to do her site? Maybe you can ask her if she would like to "share" her experiences???

Maybe increase your odds in getting her to do it by asking her to to e-mail you her experiences, and then just copy and paste it in your site.

Or, maybe IM???

No offense, but those Google ads don't really add anything to your site. They are boring and all too typical these days. Perhaps you should put in more happening, creative ads? Ringtones, e-cards, IM smileys....?

If you advertise your site again, which you are going to have to if you want a lot of hits, first get others to see them. Ask them if they would click on them.

Talk about your postings in social network sites, blogs, and, yes, advertise them too.

"Local 17-year old tells why she decided to quit school to do her Website full time."

Put in a "send to a friend" form on the bottom of your home page so it is easier for your visitors to send to a friend(s).
    Content for my website will be events or mass orders. Is it 'legal' for me to copy details of these from other websites and post them into mine?

Anyway thanks for the many tips to make the site more attractive. I will be looking into them.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry, I meant include their url.

Actually, there is a lot out there that you don't have to.

Good luck with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you must invest in SEO, it will be a big help...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Build links to your sites - quality and targeted backlinks that will reach your desired audience. IF you have a budget and want faster results, advertise and buy paid targeted links.
    ClickXposure.com - PPC Management