SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Contests vs Sweepstakes for a New Social Networking Site

Debating whether I should use sweepstakes or contests for a new social networking site. Basicly when you start up a site, there are just a few posts and you need to attract large numbers of quality members to the community.

Have any of you successfully used either of these techniques to build a social networking community? Was wondering if I will just get spam or worthwhile contributions using this technique?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What kind of social networking site is it? What will the requirements be to enter a contest or a sweepstakes?
    Sara

www.logoraman.com electroskan.com's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    contests...don't ask me why, you asked for it
    LOGORAMAN
    [FB] [TWITTER] [BEHANCE] [FLICKR]

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bjpc12 View Post
    Debating whether I should use sweepstakes or contests for a new social networking site. Basicly when you start up a site, there are just a few posts and you need to attract large numbers of quality members to the community.

Have any of you successfully used either of these techniques to build a social networking community? Was wondering if I will just get spam or worthwhile contributions using this technique?
    Each will have very different results.

Contests tend to be more personal, where the people competing have a vested interest in being active with the site. They've actually contributed something to it, and they will want to see results. This builds community.

Sweepstakes tend to create a psychological effect of disconnection. How many sweepstakes have you seen on products, where you have to go through the hassle of filling out a form and mailing it to some generic P.O. Box, and whether you win or lose is a matter of luck? Most importantly, even if you do fill it out, you just sort of forget about it, and does it really make you interested in the product after having gone through all that?

Contests, I think are much better for community building. Plus they also give you some content you can make use of. The only trouble with them is they can be time consuming to judge (depending on what they are and how many submissions you get), and you do get a lot of poor ones.

I've run contests on my site and it's quite shocking how little effort people put into their chances at winning :/

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site is a travel review type site like a TripAdvisor.com but mine will be more in a niche.

Thanks for the feedback on contests. I have done sweeps before for websites. The numbers are huge but the members aren't loyal.

Thinking that contests might be the way to go but I don't want to attract junk on the site.

When a social networking site starts up . . . it won't have a lot of members so need to build trust and the community. I estimate I will have 100 members and 1,000 entries to start.

I don't join sites until they prove themselves with a lot of participation. Any ideas how to attract quality members and content when just starting?