Thread: google_hints

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

google_hints

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question, so, please move if it's not.

I posted on topix.com recently and when I checked their source code I noticed that their adsense ad had a google_hints flag set for my domain; www.godaycare.com. What does that mean? There is little explanation on the web on that flag.
    godaycare.com - Canadian daycare listings with reviews
    Parenting and Child care Forum - Canadian child care forum

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you create an adsense player to play video ads you get a chance to specify 'hints' to help adsense match videos to content. Could that be what you're seeing?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure that's the case. I don't run any adwords programs. The google_hints flag was set on a regular textual ad. Google hints that this is a pilot project. The thing is that once they allow others to "hint" what ads they would like to show, that would severely undermine the whole adsense program.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is really interesting, did you mention\ask this in the official Google Adsense group to see what they say?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No i didn't. But after researching some of it I came across other people's response from google. Reading that response I realised that they have no intent of answering that question. Their answer was mearly a PR thing. Here is their answer

"Thanks for your inquiry. The feature you’re referring to is one of several features the Google AdSense team is currently testing for a very limited number of publishers. At this time, we are not able to offer these features to other publishers. Should we offer these features to additional publishers in the future, we will be sure to notify you at that time. I appreciate your understanding."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what I got when I looked at there source. Its probably telling the ads some "hints" to help target the ads, like where the user is coming from and such. Like I typed the url in, so it will show me ads from my town.

google_hints = "idaho falls id idaho falls idaho idaho+falls";

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would someone want to do that with my domain though. It's by no means a popular domain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe the ads are looking are your cookies or something? Did you happen to click on to topix.com from your website (referral). Did you use your website for the website in the comments?

Looks like the ads are just trying to find out as much info from you as possible, so they can target the ads better.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    google_hints is an adsense specific tag that is available to select publishers. The idea of the tag is simply what the name says -- to give adsense a hint as to the page/ site contents. From what my account executives have explained, the hints don't override content spidering but merely help them along and are especially useful for large sites with lots of new and dynamic content which may not be 100% on target with the site and need extra focus. I've used these to try and sway ads to more relevant messages within a niche or regionalbased on IP/Referring URL/Referring page but never seen an instance where they completely overrode a page's content.
    - Ted S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted S View Post
    google_hints is an adsense specific tag that is available to select publishers. The idea of the tag is simply what the name says -- to give adsense a hint as to the page/ site contents. From what my account executives have explained, the hints don't override content spidering but merely help them along and are especially useful for large sites with lots of new and dynamic content which may not be 100% on target with the site and need extra focus. I've used these to try and sway ads to more relevant messages within a niche or regionalbased on IP/Referring URL/Referring page but never seen an instance where they completely overrode a page's content.
    Where do they get there hints from?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But why would they use a noname domain as a hint. My site currently has no value. Are they telling google to show ads from my adwords campaings?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waraas View Post
    Where do they get there hints from?
    Where ever they want... they can be static, based on the page, a user's search, referring sites, etc...
    - Ted S

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraDC View Post
    But why would they use a noname domain as a hint. My site currently has no value. Are they telling google to show ads from my adwords campaings?
    There's several possibilities I can think of...

They may feel your site pays well for adwords or is the source of referring traffic and thus is worth using as an ad. They may also have used a referring url saved in a cookie or from your last click to come up with the ad. There's lots of possibilities dealing both with your specific user session and the site as a whole.
    - Ted S

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fact that google doesn't want to reveal the true intent for the flag makes me even more cureous.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraDC View Post
    The fact that google doesn't want to reveal the true intent for the flag makes me even more cureous.
    I'm not sure you how reached that conclusion but please explain...

My google reps were always straight forward about it and even suggested it as a means of making adsense ads more relevant. The true intent that I've been told is just what the name says.... hints for adsense to use in it's keyword formula.
    - Ted S

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, can I alter google code and insert my own google_hints? What's the process of getting the right to using that flag? Does the site have to get a sertain number of ad clicks before it's granted the permission to use the aformentioned flag?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't tell you what has to be done to qualify... all I know is they always reached out to me when an account was allowed to use that tag (as well as the other things that generally come with having access to the account team).

My guess is that they look for the top sites within a vertical. So if you have a site about video games it would have to be much bigger than a site about say candle making. That said, you're best bet is to contact google and ask if you can use it.
    - Ted S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From searchenginejournal.com

Google AdSense Hints are a way for publishers to add keywords in the AdSense code of their ads which helps Google determine the theme of advertisement to serve. Such a program of course requires a bond of trust between Google AdSense and the publisher. Because of this credibility hurdle and huge spamming potential, Google AdSense Hints usage are by invite only.