SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Music/Video Software for Mac: Need an Overview

My questions aren't really suitable for Apple's forums because they embrace software made by outfits other than Apple. Anyway, I just upgraded to Leopard and am about to purchase more software for my Mac.

I'm still a novice when it comes to music and video files. In fact, I probably won't be doing a lot with videos, but I'd like to get my feet wet. In particular, I'd like to learn how to make videos suitable for uploading to websites like YouTube. Also, is there software that will allow you to take a video (big file size) and convert it to a .mpg (smaller file size) that can be played on iTunes?

In summary, I wondered if someone could mention some of the better or more popular software programs people use for doing these kinds of things (including software made by other companies). I just upgraded to Leopard, only to discover it lacks some graphics software (e.g. iPhoto) and perhaps video software, too. I need to go back and purchase iLife.

I've also installed VLC, which is capable of playing a wide variety of music and videos simultaneously. But I'd like to be able to play these songs on iTunes, too, even if it isn't video-capable.

Thanks for any tips.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, for fancy video editing the norm is usually Final Cut. You can do simpler projects, especially to get your feet wet, using iLife.

Once you have your video, QuickTime Pro will export it to various sizes and file types such as exporting for play on iPhone / video iPods. All of which can play in iTunes.
    intragenesis, llc professional web & graphic design

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by holmescreek View Post
    Well, for fancy video editing the norm is usually Final Cut. You can do simpler projects, especially to get your feet wet, using iLife.

Once you have your video, QuickTime Pro will export it to various sizes and file types such as exporting for play on iPhone / video iPods. All of which can play in iTunes.
    Thanks, I'll check those programs out.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have the original system discs that were supplied with your Mac you can use them to install the version of iLife you had before upgrading to Leopard (I assume you did a clean install as these would have been retained in an archive and install update).

Just select the "Install bundled software only" option when you put the disc in the drive. You will be able to select the iLife applications individually along with any 3rd party utilities that may have been supplied.

iMove (HD) is a great little video editor for the beginner and casual amateur that is more than capable of exporting video to something suitable for Youtube (check youtube guidelines for recommended settings) and iTunes (and any other format you can think of, if you have suitable codecs).