SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Revenue potential for content rich websites?

Hello all

Am currently discussing starting a new website - with money making aims. Without giving too much away, it's going to be a guide to restaurants and supermarkets for a certain type of food, in one country (to start), with community features and user generated reviews etc.

Our initial thoughts have been monetising through Google adwords but we also anticipate that we could persuade individual restaurants / businesses to advertise directly. Is it possible to combine those two approaches?

Futhermore, before we really get into it, and commit ourselves to what will be a lot of work, I wanted to investigate what real revenue-generating potential there are in sites like this. What kind of money can be earned from Google adwords, from a site which gets say, 1000 unique visitors a week? Does anyone have a kind of rough guide of what could expected (of course I understand this totally varies) with various amounts of traffic?

I guess our advantage here will be that visitors have a specific interest which is niche and easily targetable.

Any advice much appreciated.

MRG

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No one can give you estimation because it the amount you earn will vary based on:

1) the layout of your website (does it encourage clicks?)

2) the niche (some pay higher then others and different types of visitors are more or less likely to click on ads).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply and I do appreciate that. I am really just trying to find out what scope there is right now - what the market is like, and maybe some examples of profitable websites that earn from advertising!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting restaurants to advertise on the web is "very hard". For some reason, they dont believe in it.
    Support | ViziDirect
    Rated as one of the top 5
    networks in the world
    according to Media Magazine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never run a site like this before, but just an idea for you - perhaps you might want to think about localizing the site even more. Perhaps break it up by city. I know that might be a lot of work, but if you localize it, you might have better luck doing private ad deals with small businesses who are only interesting in targeting local traffic.

You can definitely make money with 1000 uniques per day. But, I think your best option is going to be private ways of making money with the site rather than global ad networks like Adsense.
    David Risley
    Web Developer, Web Publisher, Blogger, Tech Dude
    PC Mechanic | WebbyOnline