User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new MB and CPU... windows error...?

Hey,

just installed a new motherboard and processor (Core 2 duo) and when the system starts up, it goes to the "Sorry but windows did not start up succesfully, please choose from one of theses three options"

does anyone know how to fix this? im afraid that if I put my windows disk in it'll reinstall the OS as a whole...

??

Thanks!

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ummm...yeah you need to reinstall Windows...thats a major hardware change.
    Changing the Motherboard and Processor requires that the OS (I'm sure its for all) need to be reinstalled otherwise they just can't handle such a major change.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is there anyway todo that with out getting rid of the files on the hard drive (i.e. personal files)?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, you do a repair install on your computer using the Windows CD. I am assuming you are using Windows XP but this trick has worked on all versions of Windows that I remember...

When you replace most hardware, all you need to do is start up Windows and it should recognise the new hardware no problems. This is not the case when you replace a motherboard. You usually need to reinstall Windows for that. The easy way to do that is a repair reinstall.

Boot using the windows XP CD.

Select the option for setting up Windows XP.

You should then see C:\WINDOWS (or equivalent) listed as an existing operating system which you can apply a repair reinstall to.

Select this one and press R to reinstall over the top of that installation.

This should reinstall the system files and preserve all your documents and settings. The only things it will change is that it will install the correct driver and system files for your new motherboard, and at some stage Windows Update will need to re-apply all security fixes released since the CD was made (they should be cached, so if you downloaded them before it should be quicker).
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

reads the ********* Crier silver trophybronze trophy longneck's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the best way to avoid this problem in the future is to boot up the old PC and change your IDE or SATA driver to a generic IDE/SATA driver. (if you have an SATA controller, you might have to switch it from native to compatibility mode in your BIOS for this to work.)

you might also have to switch your HAL to the single-processor ACPI version if your new motherboard and old motherboard don't support the same HAL.

if you do these two things, you don't have to run the windows repair. it potentially saves you TONS of time, but it's a bit more scary.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so what I did was went out and just bought a new HDD (SATA) and it installed fine, I wasd able to grab all my old files from the other hard drive (EIDE). BUT! there's a slight problem... when windows installed onto the new drive, it did it under a H: drive letter insterad of C:/.... some of my programs are having some problems... is there anyway possible to change the hard drive letter? I've tried using Microsofts Diskmanagment (diskmgmt.msc) and of course it said that it couldn't be done....

any help? (is it gonna take a whole new installation of the HDD?)

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the latest version of Acronis True Image can restore a disk image or clone a drive to a new hardware configuration.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattiepoo View Post
    when windows installed onto the new drive, it did it under a H: drive letter insterad of C:/.... some of my programs are having some problems... is there anyway possible to change the hard drive letter?
    Yes, in fact I had to do that the other day.

Here's the instructions:
    http://www.petri.co.il/change_system...windows_xp.htm
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff