Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spammers Are idiots !

Hi there

Dont they drive u mad lol, I get lots of people trying to spam my blog daily, which i find rather odd as all my links are no follow on there anyway.

So i decided to post with a title of spammers are idiots on my blog, and explained that there link will never see hte light of day, do you think it stopped them ?

In short NO

Idiots the lot of them lol !

Woc
    ]

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they may dont get a rank for the link, but they may get a visit if you visitor follow the link.....

THATS WHAT A SPAMMER WANTS

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all about the traffic. A no follow will not deter a spammer.
    Los Angeles Tips and Suggestions InvisibleLA.com
    UrWar - It's your War!
    Nicole Richie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would you follow a spammers link? A spammer is highly unlikely to get past Akismet and other plugins. Following links that get pulled in comments marked spam is even moronic than posting spam.
    Homeward Bound Puppy now with a store!

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are getting popular with the spammers, you really need to require admin approval of comments, and possibly even admin approval of registrations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The spammers are hoping to get their comments on a blog of someone that is not monitoring it closley.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think of it this way. A spammer may have 5-10 people posting thousands of spam comments per day at a cost of 10 cents per comment. If the spam comments are well written they will get some click throughs.
    UrWar - It's your War!
    Nicole Richie

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, they just start learning about internet,... yeah offcourse everyone who still in learning something is dummie, idiot...
    signature soon

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by urfriend View Post
    well, they just start learning about internet,... yeah offcourse everyone who still in learning something is dummie, idiot...
    The op is talking about spammers. A spammer will never learn. A lot of the garbage they try spamming you with is pure garabage. It really makes me wonder what they are thinking when they post idiotic comments filled with garabge links.
    UrWar - It's your War!
    Nicole Richie

www.logoraman.com electroskan.com's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a blog which I haven't updated for quite sometime now and still I manage to pick up a few Spam comments every week
    LOGORAMAN
    [FB] [TWITTER] [BEHANCE] [FLICKR]

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The spam posts you are getting are probably from spam bots.
    UrWar - It's your War!
    Nicole Richie

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is one guy in particular that trys to spam one of my blogs and to say he is persistent is an understatement.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You assume the spammer reads your blog. It is more likely he or she doesn't even know it exists. The vast majority of spam is software-generated (by desktop software or scripts running on a server). The links are posted anywhere the software can find a <form> as it crawls the web or a list of URLs. It doesn't matter what your blog says, that it's even a blog, or whether you add the non-standard nofollow relationship attribute to the links.

It's done for the same reason we get spam in our e-mail inboxes. It doesn't matter that you, or the majority of people, has a spam filter or deletes spam and never clicks the links. If enough mails are sent, even a tiny percentage of people clicking the links will make the spammer more money than it cost to send the mails.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If just one person buys from a spammer then that covers the spammers costs for the next few million spam entries that they generate. It doesn't matter if most of those millions of entries are completely ignored or are deleted by automated processes before anyone sees them because the spammer only needs to get one sale from that in order to cover the next few million spam entries.

The people who are primarily responsible for all the spam we all get are the people who buy from the spammers. If no one bought from them then they'd eventually have no reason for sending out more spam.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    If just one person buys from a spammer then that covers the spammers costs for the next few million spam entries that they generate. It doesn't matter if most of those millions of entries are completely ignored or are deleted by automated processes before anyone sees them because the spammer only needs to get one sale from that in order to cover the next few million spam entries.

The people who are primarily responsible for all the spam we all get are the people who buy from the spammers. If no one bought from them then they'd eventually have no reason for sending out more spam.
    Well said. I find myself deleting this emails because how am I going to trust a spammer with my credit card information.
    UrWar - It's your War!
    Nicole Richie

SitePoint Enthusiast Mike Newton's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dvduval View Post
    If you are getting popular with the spammers, you really need to require admin approval of comments, and possibly even admin approval of registrations.
    I had to do this early last year on some of my blogs that were getting spam popular but it became increasingly difficult to keep doing due to the number of blogs. In the end I resorted to implementing captchas when signing up which helped a bit.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, not all spammers are idiots. In fact there are many ingenious spammers out there. From some of the stuff I've seen it's pretty freakin crazy. There was a guy that hacked in to one of my companies servers installed a script that took control over apache then wrote a file to the server that blasted emails using our server. That's flippin outstanding and the code isn't half bad . I might use it some day myself XD. >.>... For legitimate reasons I assure you <.<... All this to say if you don't like spammers, don't allow them to post on your blog, don't have a form they can submit to, or just don't have a website, email or anything internet related .

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made them a promise.

They spam my blog once more and i'd make it my personal goal to take their sites down.

See: http://www.profitbaron.com/2008/01/0...ment-spammers/

Its died down alot and i'm awaiting an email response off some dodgy free whois privacy service as they denied my inital request for the information which according to their terms of service they should release for spammers etc. Although if it continues from the same whois privacy service and they aren't providing details i will have to take up action against them too.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mvpsworld View Post
    they may dont get a rank for the link, but they may get a visit if you visitor follow the link.....

THATS WHAT A SPAMMER WANTS
    Indeed........at least their sites will get some clicks from some visitors........no matter it is relavant or not..........I do not know does it really help them in any way.........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by worldofchat View Post
    Hi there

Dont they drive u mad lol, I get lots of people trying to spam my blog daily, which i find rather odd as all my links are no follow on there anyway.

So i decided to post with a title of spammers are idiots on my blog, and explained that there link will never see hte light of day, do you think it stopped them ?

In short NO

Idiots the lot of them lol !

Woc
    Well, Spammers are stupid, so they are not going to stop that easy

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by angilina View Post
    Well, Spammers are stupid, so they are not going to stop that easy
    Actually, many of them are quite smart... genius almost. Finding and exploiting operating system vulnerabilities to gain control of hundreds of thousands of others' computers to send their mail is not easy.

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post

That is a fundamental principle in all of the market. When you can find a customer that way, somebody will do it. Shoddy merchandise would also not be there if the demand was not there. The customer is at faultů
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

SitePoint Enthusiast John Sharp's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow It's all in the Math...

It is all about numbers, just as in the telemarketing game. The last I checked the rate of return for telemarketing is around 2%-3%. Does not sound like much does it. Lets say a call center produces 1,000,000 calls a month. 1 000 000 * (2%) = 20,000 Sales!!!

The spammers rate of return is even higher at around 5%-8%... do the math..

The nofollow tag was never met to be a spam deterrent it was developed so webmasters could control how there page rank flows from there site. Take Wikipedia that states they use nofollow as a way to control spam... what ever! It has not made a dent in anything spam wise. It is just a excuse so Wikipedia can hoard there page rank.

My2Cents
    Official Card Caring Member of the Seroquel Mafia
    Wordress Commando Design Services
    What we can do for you

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they are those unscrupolous people who are bandits and pirates on this side of internet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spammers

Yes Spammers are Idiots

The problem is that the harder you try to make your website idiot proof

the more they keep coming up with better idiots