SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    .us (dot US) domains make difference on SEO?

    Hello all, Im debating using a .us domain for an adult site actually. I am wondering do .us domains have SEO problems worldwide or are they treated equally?

    Its either I use the better single word .us domain or a two word not so good .com, which would you use?
    Aaron Luckie - Paid search and SEO blog

  2. #2
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy C. Ankerstjerne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Kingdom of Denmark
    Posts
    2,702
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All domains are treated equally by search engines.
    Christian Ankerstjerne
    <p<strong<abbr/HTML/ 4 teh win</>
    <>In Soviet Russia, website codes you!

  3. #3
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Ankerstjerne View Post
    All domains are treated equally by search engines.
    Yep, it's all about content
    http://linkageplus.com - PR5 web link directory
    http://webdirectoryforums.com/ - for web directories ONLY

  4. #4
    Non-Member Icheb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,474
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Ankerstjerne View Post
    All domains are treated equally by search engines.
    You seem to be forgetting about .de. Those domains initially start off with a PigeonRank (PR) of 7, which gives them incredible power in the SERPs. It's almost impossible to outrank those sites, they are like the Wikipedia of domain extensions.

  5. #5
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    371
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SEO wise all extensions are equal for general searches, but local extension do have some advantage when the search option is set to local country. Location of the server also affect the local searches.

  6. #6
    In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, Illinois
    Posts
    15,476
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

    Are you being sarcastic, Icheb?

  7. #7
    SitePoint Evangelist MrCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    494
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also have a ".us" domain and currently working on its SEO. We are building links the same way we do it with our other sites and hoping it will get the same results
    ClickXposure.com - PPC Management

  8. #8
    Non-Member Icheb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,474
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

    Did mentioning PigeonRank give it away?

    I find this perception that certain extensions may receive a boost from the search engines so utterly moronic, which is why I couldn't help myself.

  9. #9
    Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    UK Nr Manchester
    Posts
    3,460
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard that hosting sites in the same country as the TLD is looked upon favourably by Google.

    I imagine this would stop people using TLDs to give the wrong impression about a site but in cases where it's unavoidable I wouldn't expect it to hurt you.

    I don't know if it's true or not.

    I welcome discussion and constructive input on this from people who don't think that anyone who disagrees must be moronic.
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

  10. #10
    In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, Illinois
    Posts
    15,476
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Icheb View Post
    Off Topic:

    Did mentioning PigeonRank give it away?

    I find this perception that certain extensions may receive a boost from the search engines so utterly moronic, which is why I couldn't help myself.
    I actually didn't notice your use of "PigeonRank" believe it or not.

  11. #11
    Non-Member Waraas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Idaho Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    350
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Icheb, that was really funny.

    All domain extensions aren't created equal. Spammers have overused .info's and its now harder to get those to rank. I'm not saying impossible, just really hard.

    I have had a few .names and could not get those to rank at all.

    However, I think .us should be good. Especially since its a one word, you should be fine. But please post your results here for us

  12. #12
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    4,301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waraas View Post
    Spammers have overused .info's and its now harder to get those to rank.
    Whether or not spammers overuse .info TLD's, it wouldn't serve Google to mark down .info domains. Doing so would disadvantage legitimate .info sites for no reason and so doesn't make any sense.

    TLD has no bearing on 'relevance' and you can't detect spammers based on TLD. Unless you are talking regional rankings, I doubt that the TLD has any effect.

  13. #13
    He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Slave I
    Posts
    23,423
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJMcClure View Post
    I've heard that hosting sites in the same country as the TLD is looked upon favourably by Google.

    I imagine this would stop people using TLDs to give the wrong impression about a site but in cases where it's unavoidable I wouldn't expect it to hurt you.

    I don't know if it's true or not.

    I welcome discussion and constructive input on this from people who don't think that anyone who disagrees must be moronic.
    The TLD does matter for country specific search as does the location of the website.

    Quote Originally Posted by hooperman View Post
    Whether or not spammers overuse .info TLD's, it wouldn't serve Google to mark down .info domains. Doing so would disadvantage legitimate .info sites for no reason and so doesn't make any sense.

    TLD has no bearing on 'relevance' and you can't detect spammers based on TLD. Unless you are talking regional rankings, I doubt that the TLD has any effect.
    Exactly. Google doesn't apply blanket penalties like that.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •