User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    I don't know if I would say "interested" as I would say "limited to" as using off page factors is incredibly complex and that's where Google's huge head start comes into play. Yahoo is way ahead of MSN in using off page factors to rank pages. MSN is seemingly in the dark ages in that area.
    It seems to me that MSN is really confused about the whole web thing. They don't seem to have any direction and are having a hard time just keeping up with the other two. So far, in a month and a half it only included my home page and that's it. What about the other pages. I hardly ever see their spiders come. Yahoo is slightly better but not by much. Quite frankly I had never achieved much success with those two with any of my projects. I think now is the time to do something about it.
    godaycare.com - Canadian daycare listings with reviews
    Parenting and Child care Forum - Canadian child care forum

Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraDC View Post
    It seems to me that MSN is really confused about the whole web thing. They don't seem to have any direction and are having a hard time just keeping up with the other two. So far, in a month and a half it only included my home page and that's it. What about the other pages. I hardly ever see their spiders come. Yahoo is slightly better but not by much. Quite frankly I had never achieved much success with those two with any of my projects. I think now is the time to do something about it.
    Strange, if you're indexed by Google, you've usually been indeed by yahoo and msn first.
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJMcClure View Post
    Strange, if you're indexed by Google, you've usually been indeed by yahoo and msn first.
    Well, I am indexed by them and I receive very limited traffic from yahoo, but none from MSN. For some reason neither yahoo nor MSN has spidered much of the site yet and they had plenty of time already. Google has already gone through a large portion of the pages. I don't know what the people at MS are thinking but if they don't spider sites then how are they supposed to bring NEW content to their SERPs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think this is 100% accurate. Google usually index sites first.
    ClickXposure.com - PPC Management

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still nothing from MSN. very little from yahoo. Tons of traffic from google. I don't mind google traffic, but having only one search engine working for you is extremely volatile.
    Last edited by LauraDC; Jan 24, 2008 at 07:56.

SitePoint Enthusiast akashdwivedi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your site is now naturally ranking above Sitepoint.

Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCat View Post
    I don't think this is 100% accurate. Google usually index sites first.
    No it's not, you're right, I meant to say that if you rank well on Google you usually do ok on MSN and Yahoo as well, I don't know why I said the thing about getting indexed first, but the edit function on the forum wasn't working and I couldn't change it.
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No it's not, you're right, I meant to say that if you rank well on Google you usually do ok on MSN and Yahoo as well
    Not necessarily. In fact it is quite common to do well in one or, occasionally, two search engines but rarely all three at the same time. In fact it seems sites do well in Yahoo and MSN and then poorly in Google and vice versa. It would be nice if it was common to rank well in all three. Then those of us who tend to be successful in getting our sites ranked well would reap a windfall of free traffic.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never been sucessful at conquering Yahoo and MSN. Maybe it's the backlinks that I still don't have a lot of. I even created an account on MSNs useless webmaster tools to see if there is maybe something wrong with the crawling. Nope. Yet it had only indexed the home page. I submitted a sitemap a couple of weeks ago and still nothing. Maybe they are just slow. In that case, how in the world do they expect to find fresh content?