SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The domain is apparently 6 years old. I did not realise that when I purchased it a couple of months ago. I don't know its past history either. Having said that, the site is about 1 month old, but the domain isn't. Did I make a fundamental mistake by purchasing a recycled domain name?
    godaycare.com - Canadian daycare listings with reviews
    Parenting and Child care Forum - Canadian child care forum

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, you did not. Consider yourself starting off with a clean slate as far as the domain name is concerned.

Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraDC View Post
    I Inserted the domain name into the title. I also inserted it in some h3 tags. We'll see what happens.
    Why?

Does it really matter if you don't rank top on a search for your domain name?

As I said, people who know it will type it into the address bar and most likely won't search for it on a search engine. Even if they do, they'll still find you because they're obviously looking for you.

You should be concentrating on the kinds of keywords that people will use to find a service like yours, not worrying about your domain name in the SERP. This sitepoint thread thing has got you all turned around about nothing. Forget about it.
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ he's right, LauraDC.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJMcClure View Post
    Why?

Does it really matter if you don't rank top on a search for your domain name?
    It doesn't really matter whether or not someone will find my site by it's domain name. Then again, here is what I've heard a while ago. Alot of people who want to go to yahoo from google type yahoo.com into the search bar. There are alot of folks that don't even use the address bar anymore. That's one of the reasons why I'd prefer to rank better for my own domain name.

I'm also doing this from a purely educational standpoint. I want to see how inserting a keyword (domain name in this case) will affect it's position for that keyword.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't worry about ranking well for your own domain name. It's going to happen eventually naturally on its own.

Plus, although some people do type domain names into the search engines instead of the URL bar, it is a tiny minority of users and usually done because they are Internet clueless. I hardly would consider it worth the time and effort to target those users.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    Plus, although some people do type domain names into the search engines instead of the URL bar, it is a tiny minority of users and usually done because they are Internet clueless. I hardly would consider it worth the time and effort to target those users.
    I think you are wrong there, bud. From what I recall there were more people typing google.com into yahoo then the keyword "sex". We both know that it's not a tiny minority of people

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think you are wrong there, bud. From what I recall there were more people typing google.com into yahoo then the keyword "sex". We both know that it's not a tiny minority of people
    Don't run too far with what you've read. Besides that it isn't true (I too follow popular search words) if you check your site stats you'll see a tiny minority, if any at all, of refers from search engines where users typed in your domain instead of a real query. I've seen the stats of countless websites. I know it isn't anything to worry about.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now, that would not be fair to do since the site is on the second page. But I do get alot of direct traffic. What that means remains to be seen.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going through the same problems right now, but I think its because my sites are up and coming and havent been around that long...I was talking about them in forums before I really even started advertising...so I think that could be the problem too...I dont know, I hope all goes well for you and your endeavors.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fetchblog View Post
    I am going through the same problems right now, but I think its because my sites are up and coming and havent been around that long...I was talking about them in forums before I really even started advertising...so I think that could be the problem too...I dont know, I hope all goes well for you and your endeavors.
    Thank you, fetchblog. Same to you. Yeah, before I started participating on here and posting on other message boards, the domain name was found #1. That's not the case anymore. I'm beginning to wonder if that's not because I'm participating so much on SP. My sig. is all over SitePoint and perhaps google looks at that as spamming other sites to get backlinks??? That would be terrible if that was the case.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My sig. is all over SitePoint and perhaps google looks at that as spamming other sites to get backlinks??? That would be terrible if that was the case.
    I doubt that that's the case Laura, otherwise it would be possible to saboutage other people's sites just by adding them to your sig. If you had stymiee's post count, for example, you could really blow somebody out of the water.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hooperman View Post
    I doubt that that's the case Laura, otherwise it would be possible to saboutage other people's sites just by adding them to your sig. If you had stymiee's post count, for example, you could really blow somebody out of the water.
    Don't be so sure it isn't. The theory is not to allow that, but theory and practice are two different things. Google algo is a humongous beast. It's got so many things going and interactive in it. No one knows what their spam filters do. I hope you are right. I like this forum. I received alot of help here. I don't post mearly to get backlinks. But that might not be what the filters see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also don't forget common sense either. Don't get too wrapped up in theories (though they can be fun at times).

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    Also don't forget common sense either. Don't get too wrapped up in theories (though they can be fun at times).
    Yeah, I do tend to get technical at times.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked at the source code of site sites where I had placed ads and here is my problem

<title>daycare centers with reviews available on www.godaycare.com - toronto childcare - backpage.com</title>

Here is the title of my ad
    daycare centers with reviews available on www.godaycare.com

They are altering the title of their web pages to rank better for the keywords that I chose as the title of the ad and combining it with geo-location.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FINALLY 1st place in SERPs for my domain name keyword (godaycare.com) Very happy about it.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'saw you at no 1 and sitepoint at no 6. I guess you are okay now.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redspace View Post
    I'saw you at no 1 and sitepoint at no 6. I guess you are okay now.
    I didn't do anything special except put my domain name into the title and added "godaycare.com" in 2 places on the page. That might have done the trick. I still don't show up 1st under "godaycare" though. Seems like posting on classified board has its drawbacks. Being third is not bad though.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But Laura the first 3 is also about your site and your are 4th. That ads will be gone when it expired so will be top again. The good part of making ads is you can get top ranking if you can put your URL with high PR classified ads. If you use long tail keywords you will in a good hand. but to put URL in ads it is usually will cost some money. anyhow you are safe already and congratulation because the 1st page of Google for your target keyword is all yours.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But Laura the first 3 is also about your site and your are 4th. That ads will be gone when it expired so will be top again. The good part of making ads is you can get top ranking if you can put your URL with high PR classified ads. If you use long tail keywords you will in a good hand. but to put URL in ads it is usually will cost some money. anyhow you are safe already and congratulation because the 1st page of Google for your target keyword is all yours.
    Thanks, redspace. I noticed with kijiji especially that they use your title in conjunction with the geo-location as the title of their pages. Very clever, indeed. Incidentally, all the good classifieds sites like craigslist and kijiji are free. I'm not sure if there are others though.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Laura! The page's title and descriptions is very important. Make sure you put the right keywords. and do research for words that has good daily search volume. and pick one that is related to your theme. Canadian is to broad. And I don't think people search for canadian day care center.

Maybe you should put a few city name on the title and description but make sure don't put to many words. there is a chance search engine would penalize spamming title and description. If you need some list of good free classified ads you can check out my work at home site and go to the directory section.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    go round and round and round
    cetin hakimoglu

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Laura! The page's title and descriptions is very important. Make sure you put the right keywords. and do research for words that has good daily search volume. and pick one that is related to your theme. Canadian is to broad. And I don't think people search for canadian day care center.

Maybe you should put a few city name on the title and description but make sure don't put to many words. there is a chance search engine would penalize spamming title and description. If you need some list of good free classified ads you can check out my work at home site and go to the directory section.
    Thanks again for your review, redspace.

The title is important whereas the description is only useful - as far as I know. According to Matt Cutts, that they don't use the description for nothing else but to show it underneath the results. I have, what I think, would be appropriate titles:

http://www.godaycare.com/ontario/toronto/1
    TITLE - toronto daycare centers, listings with reviews ratings parent comments:

http://www.godaycare.com/ratedaycare
    TITLE - Review daycare center listings. Canadian daycare centre reviews child care providers daycare ratings:

http://www.godaycare.com/ontario/
    TITLE - Ontario daycare centers with listings reviews and comments from parents:

Every page on the site should have it's own title and the description fields which describe the page to the user and the SE. I don't want to put "daycare centers ....." on the home page because the site deals strictly with Canadian dayacres, thus the reason for the word, Canadian, in it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put your keywords in your description because the keywords will bold when a user does a search. But type your description as a sells letter, your right, google dosent give a sh*t about the descriotion.

I also type A LOT of websites into google search rather than the url bar, mostly because I dont going to parked domains if I type the url wrong. I also looked at my stats and it looks like im not the only one who does this

But dont worry about ranking for your own domain, it will come, just keep building links.