SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My site no longer shows up #1 in google SERs when i type godaycare.com into the search box. It's been taken over by a page from sitepoint
    So soccer mom would type your domain to look you up and all she would find are all your questions and comments on Sitepoint. Not good.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hooperman View Post
    It's just on the main sub forum list: http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12

I wouldn't worry though because the link to that thread will eventually be relegated to page 2 (and so on) and so will pass less weight. Also, I doubt that many people will be searching for your site by name

Also, any "new site filter"/"aging delay" that Google employ won't be there forever.
    It will quite some time for the link to get relegated to page 2. It's a very popular topic. Actually a nice thread for every one to read. I'm glad that my site review thread has appealed to so many people.
    godaycare.com - Canadian daycare listings with reviews
    Parenting and Child care Forum - Canadian child care forum

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asprookie View Post
    So soccer mom would type your domain to look you up and all she would find are all your questions and comments on Sitepoint. Not good.
    Hehe. Maybe that soccer mom will join SP. It's always good to have mome members.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJMcClure View Post
    I know where they are thanks, I've been arguing that keyword placement is important for a couple of weeks on here in the keyword density threads, perhaps you missed that.

None of the sites that are beating her are using the phrase in any of those places because they're about her site, they're not actually her site. All they're doing is using her URL in the content and linking to her, i.e. they have the phrase in anchor text and they use the phrase more than she does on her own home page.

Their keyword density is higher and the phrase is used in only one of the important real estate locations and they're still beating her in the rankings for her own URL, nuff said.

This is a perfect example for why the number of times you use a keyword phrase and where you put it (keyword density & location) matters.
    So, correct me if I'm wrong but if I staff my title tag and the <h> tags with my domain name it should move to the top. Isn't it the same as if I were to keyword staff my copy with sitepoint in all the "right places" I would be competing with sitepoint over their domain keyword? I'm not google would make it that easy.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chances are you wouldn't, and even if it did, the results would be rather short-lived.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I added godaycare.com to a few places on the home page. It will be interesting to see what happens to the rankings. I was not aware that there are more sites, not just sp, that are beating mine for godaycare.com. What's even more interesting is that when I run godaycare the first URL that shows up in SERPs is www.godaycare.com/childcareforum (a forum link that that has godaycare in the copyright and nowhere else). This is very confusing. There must be simething on the home page that google doesn't like I think.

I ran the same queries on yahoo and my site shows first for the aformentioned keywords as expected - just to let everyone know. Is google over their heads when it comes to providing the best results to the user?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must be some sort of penalty or sandbox. If the site is less than eight months old is is probably a sandbox.
    cetin hakimoglu

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by programPHP View Post
    Must be some sort of penalty or sandbox. If the site is less than eight months old is is probably a sandbox.
    I don't think it's sandboxed because it's showing up in SERPS. For example, if you do a search for "daycares in halifax" you will see it in position 7 of the first page.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm beats me
    cetin hakimoglu

Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hooperman View Post
    All the links in the sitepoint thread are on a low pr page, meaning that they pass less weight for the anchor text to Laura's page.

The link to the sitepoint thread however is on a high pr page (http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12) , passing more weight for the anchor text.

I'm not saying that this is the only factor, but I think it's a contributing factor.
    You keep talking about PR as if it had something to do with relevance.

I don't think PR is a factor in this at all. It's simply that the phrase was used more in the thread than on her site and in anchor text which made the thread more relevant than her own page for the search phrase.
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You keep talking about PR as if it had something to do with relevance.

I don't think PR is a factor in this at all. It's simply that the phrase was used more in the thread than on her site and in anchor text which made the thread more relevant than her own page for the search phrase.
    Are you implying that if I were to put links on my home page with varying anchor text I would rank well for the keywords that are in that anchor copy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraDC View Post
    Are you implying that if I were to put links on my home page with varying anchor text I would rank well for the keywords that are in that anchor copy?
    It might help if you used 'godaycare' in your homepage title as well, although it seems pretty long already. That other sites has your website name mentioned more on the page than you have nothing to do with this (search engines are a little more sophisticated than that). I would just give it some time. This has happened to other forum members when they start using a new signature, and eventually it all works out.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by junjun View Post
    It might help if you used 'godaycare' in your homepage title as well, although it seems pretty long already. That other sites has your website name mentioned more on the page than you have nothing to do with this (search engines are a little more sophisticated than that). I would just give it some time. This has happened to other forum members when they start using a new signature, and eventually it all works out.
    I realise that the site is new and is valued less then some older sites. I'm using this thread more to learn why things of this nature happen rather then complaining about the fact that they do. I think this is a good exercise in SEO that will hopefully shed the light on this type of thing for others as well. I inserted godaycare into the title tag. Will see what happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this is a good exercise in SEO that will hopefully shed the light on this type of thing for others as well. I inserted godaycare into the title tag. Will see what happens.
    Sounds good Patience is another good exercise in SEO, it might take a little time before you see any change.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed.

What makes no sense to me though is that I have to prove the worth of my domain name on my own site when it's used as a search string. I think that's a little silly. In my opinion, a domain name keyword should supersede any on page SEO effort of a third-party site no matter how "authoretative" it is. Yahoo seems to have got it right.

Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What makes no sense to me though is that I have to prove the worth of my domain name on my own site when it's used as a search string. I think that's a little silly.
    I agree, I don't think it matters. Anyone who knows your domain name will type it into the address bar and won't be looking for it on a search engine anyway.

You should try to rank for keywords that people will use when they search for what you do.

The discussion about why the SP thread is ranking higher than your homepage for your domain name as a search term was purely academic on my part.

In my opinion, a domain name keyword should supersede any on page SEO effort of a third-party site no matter how "authoretative" it is. Yahoo seems to have got it right.
    Unfortunately it doesn't just on it's own, otherwise it would be a very easy way to rank.
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just one advise to you why not change the text godaycare.com in your signature link to live link to your site as well, i am sure this will get your site on top the SERP rankings for you domain name pretty soon if your site is not under some penalty from google.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately it doesn't just on it's own, otherwise it would be a very easy way to rank.
    On the other hand, it is easy for others to outrank you if their site is older and "keyword staffed". Here is an example of a theoretical domain

"www.computer_peripherals_monitors.com". When someone types that into the engine, the site should come up first. On the other hand, if someone types "computer peripherals monitors com" or something similar, the domain should/or shouldn't come up at the top depending on the search engine algorythms. What i'm trying to illustrate here is that an exact match of the search phrase to the domain name should always yield the first position for that domain name. Otherwise, a site like about.com or digg can in theory owerpower the "little guy" indefinately for his own domain keyword.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dman_2007 View Post
    I have just one advise to you why not change the text godaycare.com in your signature link to live link to your site as well, i am sure this will get your site on top the SERP rankings for you domain name pretty soon if your site is not under some penalty from google.
    I could, but wouldn't that be like begging google to accept the fact that I'm the owner of the domain?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What i'm trying to illustrate here is that an exact match of the search phrase to the domain name should always yield the first position for that domain name.
    This is what the address bar is for. The SE algo tries to determine which document (not site) is the most relevant to your search. Whenever I type in 'domain.com' in the search field, it's to find websites mentioning said domain, not the site on the domain itself. That's just how I use it, and I'm sure people have all different kinds of reasons why they would type in the domain name into the search field.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I Inserted the domain name into the title. I also inserted it in some h3 tags. We'll see what happens. To me, it's keyword stuffing and I don't like doing that unless it makes sense.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is just further proof of how complicated google is.
    cetin hakimoglu

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by programPHP View Post
    This is just further proof of how complicated google is.
    Or perhaps that they made it so complicated that even they can't keep track of how things work anymore. I'm not the only one who thinks that way, you know.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could, but wouldn't that be like begging google to accept the fact that I'm the owner of the domain?
    No, not begging, its more like directing google.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't find any of your content on google... for example:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search
    I searched for some content on your main page. Also none of your articles are indexed... is this a new site?
    Golf Outings? OutingCaddy.com
    Organize - Invite - Create Free website for your golf outing!