SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Another Keyword Research Question :=

Well, I read a few articles and the only thing that bugs me is the keyword research part... again.

I just need somebody to explain this to me (perhaps with an example);

For instance, if I use Google Adwords' tool, and see the search volume charts, I will of course know that it is stupid to tackle a keyword like 'linux', but the ones with smaller volumes... but WHICH volume is appropriate for me to chose, which keywords' search volume would be appropriate then for me to tackle? Which 'difficulty'?
    Free Software

Stop by at my blog

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Start with a lot of the more obscure phrases since they are the easiest to work with and can get you targeted visitors quick. Then move on to the more competitive phrases as you continue to promote your website. You'll already have a head start as promote for long tail keywords also helps with the more competitive phrases as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Researching keywords is very tough. For me it mostly depends on how hard the subject is to do research on and build content for, since content is king..you have to write content for your website. So that is one of the factors on what keyword you should consider.

As for finding the keywords, use http://inventory.overture.com/d/sear...ry/suggestion/

It sometimes dosent work, but its great for finding keywords. The way I find my keywords is to use that tool, and then go through the list and find a long tailed keyword (I harley ever go for competitive terms).

Find a keyword that still gets decent searches a month and has little competition. So if you find a keyword that has a website specifily about the topics, than skip it. Move on till you find a keyword that dosnet have any specific websites about it, so the results would be like articles about the topic. Those keywords are easier to rank for.

As for how much traffic, with the yahoo tool, it shows you how many searches yahoo does for each keyword. So you can ussally multiple it x2 for google and msn, and that will be about how much traffic you will get a month if you where in first place.

I ussally shoot for sites that get about 2k searches a month, they are easy to rank for and the traffic is still really targeted because its a long tailed keyword.

A great example is "linux wallpapers". All the sites except the .org one has 0 backlinks for the ranked page. The .org website has 2,197 backlinks via yahoo. So you would have to build up like 3k backlinks and you would get some decent traffic from that. But that is just an example

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waraas View Post
    That tool hasn't been updated in almost a year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may try google adword for checking your keywords...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like rapidkeyword.com for find my keywords...
    Evan, CEO
    Experience Advertising, Inc. Affiliate Program Management

Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find keyword research time consuming but quite easy.

I use all the tools mentioned to build a seed list of the main phrases for the niche, including Overture, the adwords keyword tool, my own search engine research, wordtrackers keyword suggestions and suggestions by the client since they know their own niche.

Then I add local modifiers and start number crunching. Wordtracker probably has the most un-skewed search counts so I use those.

Once I've got a list of phrases with a decent amount of searches I score them against how many sites are using those phrases in titles and anchors, that's your optimised competition. The best scorers go onto a short list.

I start looking at the top 10 competing sites for those phrases especially at the quality and number of their backlinks and I decide which ones I can compete with.

Sometimes I can only use long tail phrases but sometimes phrases that you'd think would be really competitive turn out to be contenders.

Job done. Anyone want to add to it or suggest improvements?
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, what search count does it take to make you sure it's worth to compete for that keyword?
    Free Software

Stop by at my blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cifra View Post
    Yes, what search count does it take to make you sure it's worth to compete for that keyword?
    Matters the keyword. Its its a keyword where you will get .10 per click than at least like 5k searches a day.

If its a keyword that pays like 1.00 per click, I would do like 3k searches a month.

But I have a lot of websites, so I try and go for easy long tailed searches...and a lot of them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I found a long tailed keyword, which gets, according to Wordtracker ( http://freekeywords.wordtracker.com ) an est. 63 searches daily, which would mean about 1800 searches monthly and the sites which ranks top could be easily outranked (could it? It is an article on a very powerful domain (linux.com), but with only 38 backlinks at Google and no speific use of the searched keyword) - I'm just wondering, is this Wordtracker data authentic? Should i go for it? Is the linux.com domain article to much of a competitor?

the keyword IS really obscure
    Free Software

Stop by at my blog

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You don't want to target just one long tail keyword. You want to target many. The goal of them is they are easy to rank for but deliver little traffic. In their case you want to go for quantity over quality.

And ignore the exact number wordtracker and other tools give you. Go by their search count relative to other terms. That's how they are meant to be used.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cifra View Post
    . 63 searches daily, which would mean about 1800 searches monthly
    Thats too little. try like 1k plus a day. There are long tailed keywords that get that with little competiton