SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where Do You Put Ads?

I'm working on monetizing my blog. I run Adsense and an affiliate program through www.cj.com and another company. Right now all my ads are in my sidebar. One for adsense, one for CJ that rotates, and one for the other affiliate program plus one for a charity. I don't really like the idea of big banner ads, but I'm worried putting them all in the sidebar is going to get them overlooked. Any thoughts?
    Homeward Bound Puppy now with a store!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found sidebar ads don't really have a good CTR.

Top banner ads or top-left of the page, usually have the best CTR. Although it obviously depends on the site.

Tony

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, putting them off to the side may not get that many hits for a lot of sites because many times our eyes stay focused on info in the center of the page.

If you don't have that many ads, you should consider not rotatign them. What if a potential buyer of, say, acne product misses a good acne ad because it rotated off the monitor?

Perhaps put your ads in the center of the page, and especially down on the bottom, since that is where our eyes stop?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, rotating and tracking ads will certainly give you better results.

Tony

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find the best place to put ads is where your visitors are most likely to look and a lot of them at that. But by placing the ads in a popular place on your site doesn't mean cramming a load of ads together or putting them directly in their face which will make your site look untidy and make them just want to leave.